The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 PM

Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Need a little help

I set everything up per the instructions and made the suggested modifications for VBa. I pasted my Google code into the AdSense template and I pasted $GAB_ads[0] into the Navbar but no ad was generated. I'm sure I'm missing some small detail. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Off the top of my head, I think you need to put GAB_ads in your vbaCMPS portal output global variable setting
Old 01-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Off the top of my head, I think you need to put GAB_ads in your vbaCMPS portal output global variable setting

I did that. Any other ideas?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Make sure that the category that is being used has the adv_index script ticked
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM

All categories have all scripts set as on.

If I am just using a Google ad, would I still reference the ad as [0]. Does it matter where in the Navbar I have the$GAB_ads[0]
Old 01-05-2006, 09:42 PM

Yes, its still 0 if the ad is the first block.

It shouldnt matter where it is as long as its not in a conditional that isnt showing

Are you seeing it on other pages? DO you have all usergroups set to view? Do you have any usergroups set to NOT view?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM

If I leave the path to the banners as relative, I get the following errors:

Templates with $GAB_ads[x] in them:
Styleid 2 Title navbar contains $GAB_ads[0]
gab folder check

Warning: fopen(/mounted-storage/home10/sub001/sc15748-NCJJ/www/forum/geek/ gab /images//thisisatest.htm): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /admincp/GAB_admin.php on line 1694

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /admincp/GAB_admin.php on line 1695

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /admincp/GAB_admin.php on line 1696
GAB directory is valid, but the server process can not write to it. Either give the apache process ownership to the folder or chmod it to 0777
gab folder check

Warning: fopen(/mounted-storage/home10/sub001/sc15748-NCJJ/www/forum/geek/ gab /images//thisisatest.htm): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /admincp/GAB_admin.php on line 1710

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /admincp/GAB_admin.php on line 1711

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /admincp/GAB_admin.php on line 1712
GAB directory is valid, but the server process can not write to it. Either give the apache process ownership to the folder or chmod it to 0777

If I change it to the absolute path, I get this:

Templates with $GAB_ads[x] in them:
Styleid 2 Title navbar contains $GAB_ads[0]
gab folder check
You seem to be missing your gab folder or your Server Path to Gab folder is invalid. That needs to be there for uploading banners
gab folder check
You seem to be missing your gab folder or your Server Path to Gab folder is invalid. That needs to be there for uploading banners
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Yes, its still 0 if the ad is the first block.

It shouldnt matter where it is as long as its not in a conditional that isnt showing

Are you seeing it on other pages? DO you have all usergroups set to view? Do you have any usergroups set to NOT view?
All groups and all forums are selected but it ad is not showing up on any of the pages
Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 PM

can you PM me an admincp url and account?

BTW: It looks like you have a trailing slash on your server path settings.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:06 AM

Just posting the solution here for any others having similar difficulty.
  • The server path setting in GAB is not a URL. In other words, it shouldnt begin with http://!!! GAB gives you what it thinks is the server path in the title of the setting - that is 99.9999% accurate - use it
  • If you have multiple styles and are using a text ad (ie Google adsense), make sure that you put your HTML in the GAB_custom_adsense template in EACH style.
  • You do not have to create a new Banner for text ads
  • Do not tick usergroups that are exempt and then leave the Profile field to turn off ads setting at biography and the Value for field to be 'off' left blank. That means that anyone belonging to one of the usergroups you made exempt that have their biography empty will not see the ad!
Hope this helps