The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-03-2005, 07:30 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default External images for Reviews

How can I incorporate including an external image for my review? i.e. How/where I can type in "http://www.someimageserver.com/trackmy/image/impressions.gif" instead of using a locally uploaded gallery image ( I don't want to download the image to my server because I'm using a tracking service and it has to be called remotely)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've searched this forums, but the answers are inconclusive.

-John

Last edited by fyjpm; 12-03-2005 at 07:32 PM..
Old 12-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

er, there is no way to specify a URL to an image. I can look into it, but Im not sure it would make the gold release.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:31 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
er, there is no way to specify a URL to an image. I can look into it, but Im not sure it would make the gold release.
Dear Senor Geek,

putting the url in the header_image field of the vb_gars database for the record seems to works fine (using phpMyAdmin) soooo.... This should be cake, just need a html input box on the "Post Review" page and alter the INSERT sql at line 1090 of gars_class_core.php to insert the value.

I think specifying an externally linked image will be one of the most requested "feature" suggestions - also would look good on the "Features" page of your promo stuff..... (did I twist your arm enough to get it in asap? LOL )

Cheers,

-John
Old 12-03-2005, 11:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Sure, the back end (and much of the plumbing) is easy enough, however it would require a lot of rewrite of existing code. Im more than happy to look into it, its just that im slowly getting feature creep during the last mile of development

And this actually was the first time in the history of GAS or GARS that its been requested

Ill see what I can do - Im just not keen to promise anything at this stage.

Hope you understand!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Sure, the back end (and much of the plumbing) is easy enough, however it would require a lot of rewrite of existing code. Im more than happy to look into it, its just that im slowly getting feature creep during the last mile of development

And this actually was the first time in the history of GAS or GARS that its been requested

Ill see what I can do - Im just not keen to promise anything at this stage.

Hope you understand!
Np - I definately can relate....been trying to launch my new project for the last 2 months...now I've just ripped out my CMS and put in vbAdvanced along with GARS so I'll probably be another few weeks.....(so close but yet so far! been on this for almost 6 months!)

G/L with Gold!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:09 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyjpm
I definately can relate....been trying to launch my new project for the last 2 months...now I've just ripped out my CMS and put in vbAdvanced along with GARS so I'll probably be another few weeks.....(so close but yet so far! been on this for almost 6 months!)
Sounds scarily familiar..

vBadvanced CMPS + GARS really does seem like an ideal solution, with a couple of custom addons.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:28 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

i was just about to post the same suggestion... perhaps for the future?