The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Customizing landing page for tutorials

If I were to attempt to customize the layout/look of the landing page for my tutorials section, what aspects of the GARS and vBulletin system would you recommend I research? My boss landed this project in my lap and I have to find out the feasibility of it.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

One idea... as the landing page is forum ID 118, you could do something with the vB threadbit template based on a template conditional:
Code:
<if condition="$forumid == 118">

<else />

</if>
Another idea... assign a GARS type to forum ID 118 and then for the template set in that type, use all default vB templates except for threadbit, for which you could make your own.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 PM

awesome Morgan, thanks for the pointers! This gives me at least some place to start

BTW, sorry for bumping this thread, but I didn't realize that I wasn't subscribed to the thread to get an email notification.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Another idea... assign a GARS type to forum ID 118 and then for the template set in that type, use all default vB templates except for threadbit, for which you could make your own.
This project got put on the backburner for a while but I'm back on it now

How do I specify to use all of the default vB templates for the set in this type? Should I create a new Template Set leaving all of the options blank?

Basically all I'm looking to do right now is display a list of all the recent tutorials from all of the forums (How To / DIY, Introduction, Build Articles, Product Feature / Demo, Mod / Hack) within the ID 118 category on the main category page just under all of the forums.

Last edited by sweeps78; 03-18-2009 at 07:27 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

You can make a new template set, enter the names of the vB templates, and then use that template set for the type.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM

how do I know which templates to specify in order to get a list of all of my sub forum GARS threads to display on the main category?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Not sure what look you want. Is there anything here or here that you are trying to do?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:37 PM

not really, basically what I'm wanting to do is have a list under the sub categories listed on this page:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/fo...play.php?f=118

The list is all of the lastest posts from the sub cats (forum ID: 128 - 132) displayed using the same default layout the categories containing the tutorials are using:

screen.jpg

make sense? If not, please let me know and I'll give it another shot

thanks!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Administrator

The closest you can come without coding your own module is to have a 'Latest X Tutorials' box like on this page. To set up a 'Latest X Tutorials' box, go to the ACP -> GARS -> Modules and click the module set you are using in the type that is applied to that forum. Then tick the 'Forumdisplay' radio button and in the Add Modules section add the 'Top' module where you want it to appear. Once that is added, click the Top link that appears on the page and configure the settings as you prefer, including what forums to use for the latest tutorials.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM

okay

I've gotten pretty far with this. I've created my own custom template based off of the Default template, but with all of the thread display related code stripped out. This way, I can just slap the Latest X Tutorials module underneath the sub forums and have a list of all the recent tutorials that have been updated. I also created my own Type (based off of the Tutorial Type).

But, I can't seem to figure out something that I would think should be really simple. If you look at the attachment, you'll notice that in the Latest X Tutorials, many of the titles are dropping down to a second line when they could obviously stretch out to one single line. Shouldn't this be automatic? If not, then how do I set the line to stretch out to the width of the box instead of wrap?