The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Images

Hey,

Is there anyway to hide "Report Post" from tutorial tools?

Oh, I also have a sidebar, but it makes the tutorials all look squashed. Usually, I just put: <if condition="!(
(THIS_SCRIPT == 'member') -- what could I use to remove the sidebar from the tutorials page? Any ideas?

Finally, how do I get postbit to show? (Avatars, ect.) I've also seen on a few sites that they have a "Published by" block, with the avatar ect. in.... I've seen this as a module, but I can't figure how to get it to show, even read the wiki.

Thanks!

EDIT: The Featured Tutorials block is showing on the right, and not the left. How can I switch it over? It also shows in an actual tutorial, how do I stop it showing in a tutorial? http://www.techsupportteam.org/forum/guides/

How do I remove certain blocks, too - such as the "Most Active" block?

Oh, and under Category Tools, it says Post a New Thread. Any way, or any plans to change this to: Post a New Tutorial?

Just also noticed that you can change the threadclosed to tutorial closed. I have a tutorial closed image, however, changing it will replace threadclosed. Anyway to use it?

-- Jason

Last edited by Jason2; 06-26-2008 at 06:21 AM..
Old 06-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1: Untested but setting a template conditional in the GARS_tools template using the $forumid variable or setting $show['reportlink'] = false; in the /gars/mods/display/tools.php file might work.

2: One idea would be to define a constant in a plugin using the gars_ignition_end hook if $vbulletin->gars is set and then use that constant in a template conditional to knockout the sidebar on GARS pages.

3: Enter postbit or postbit_legacy in the Comments box under the ACP -> GARS -> Templates -> template set you want to edit.

4: ACP -> GARS -> Modules -> module set you want to edit -> tick Forumdisplay -> use the drop down menu next to Featured link. Not sure what the second part is asking - link to your site goes to a 'invalid forum specified' page.

5: ACP -> GARS -> Modules -> module set you want to edit. If on the forumdisplay page, tick Forumdisplay. Otherwise, tick Showthread. There you will find links to modules, where you can edit the options, and drop down menus to add, move, or delete modules from the page.

6: ACP -> GARS -> Term Sets -> term set you want to edit -> click the Add New button:
  • Varname: GARS_post_a_new_thread
  • Text: Post a New Tutorial
  • Save
7. GARS allows a different new thread button and a different new reply button to be set via the ACP -> GARS -> Term Sets. If you wish to swap out the threadclosed.gif image for something else, try using the $forumid variable in a template conditional.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks for your reply; still some questions however:

Quote:
One idea would be to define a constant in a plugin using the gars_ignition_end hook if $vbulletin->gars is set and then use that constant in a template conditional to knockout the sidebar on GARS pages.
Wow -- confused! Could you explain further?

Quote:
ACP -> GARS -> Term Sets -> term set you want to edit -> click the Add New button:

* Varname: GARS_post_a_new_thread
* Text: Post a New Tutorial
* Save
That didn't work -- still says "Post a New Thread" under Category Tools.

Quote:
If you wish to swap out the threadclosed.gif image for something else, try using the $forumid variable in a template conditional.
Could you elaborate on that?

4. What GARS template is used for the main template display -- like on vBulletin pages it would be SHOWTHREAD And what is the main tutorials page template?

5. I'm creating a new module, which will be a block on the right side of a tutorial. This is a "Applies to" block, which will allow tutorial creators to select from a drop down menu when creating a tutorial. I run a computer forums, so it will be All Windows Versions, Linux, Mac, ect ect. I use this in the .php file then upload it to the /geek/gars/mods/display directory:

Code:
if (!defined('VB_AREA') || !defined('DIR'))
{
	exit();
}

$title = $vbphrase['GARS_applies_to'];
eval('$bits = "' . fetch_template('GARS_applies') . '";');
eval('$output .= "' . fetch_template('GARS_mod_container') . '";');

?>
However, what could I use in the template to pull these options. Mainly, how do you even create these options? I can't use the User Profile field Manager, can I? Also, what template do I edit to create some options on the newtutorial page?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jason2; 06-27-2008 at 08:41 PM..
Old 06-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1: The plugin:
Code:
if (is_object($vbulletin->gars))
{
	define('IN_GARS', true);
}
The template conditional:
Code:
<if condition="!defined('IN_GARS')">
	<!-- sidebar here -->
</if>
2: Not sure, tried it here and it worked. Did some updating of the GARS files related to another thread. You might try grabbing GARS again, FTPing the PHP files in the /forum/geek/gars/includes directory and in the /forum/admincp directory, and then reimporting the XML product file (do not uninstall, do allow overwrite). Afterwards make a new term set, apply the new term set to the type, and then delete the old term set, assuming no other type is using it.

3: The template conditional:
Code:
<!-- set X to the forumid -->
<if condition="$forumid == X">
	<!-- use the new threadclosed.gif -->
<else />
	<!-- use the old threadclosed.gif -->
</if>
4: SHOWTHREAD

5: Use custom fields or see this and this.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks.

Quote:
3: The template conditional:
So, do I just put the image path where you've placed the html comments? Also, what template and where do these go?

2. There isn't a GARS_SHOWTHREAD template. I want to display a small image in the actual tutorial, below the blocks. Where about will this go?

3. Every tutorial I create, I also create a poll. "Did you find this Tutorial useful?" Options: Yes, No, Kinda. Now, for members who create tutorials, I want there to be a poll with three options already there, and possible everything inputted, the title, and the options. I'd like this to be under Feature until legend. Would this be possible? If so, what would be required?

4. I created a custom profile field - but how do I get it to show under the "Feature until" legend ? As I said earlier, this is the php I'm using:

PHP Code:
if (!defined('VB_AREA') || !defined('DIR'))
{
    exit();
}

$title $vbphrase['GARS_applies_to'];
eval(
'$bits = "' fetch_template('GARS_applies') . '";');
eval(
'$output .= "' fetch_template('GARS_mod_container') . '";');

?> 
I've coded the GARS_applies template. The custom field is a "Select box" - so select from a drop down menu. In the template, it will need to display which option they picked. Here are the options I have:

Windows (all)
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Windows (98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003)
Windows XP/2003/Vista
Windows 2k/XP
Windows XP/Vista
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Mac OS
Linux OS

The field is: gars1 -- so that will need to be included in the template to display - do I just put it like that, or is there something else that needs go with it?

Last edited by Jason2; 06-29-2008 at 03:55 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

1: Search the SHOWTHREAD template for threadclosed.gif and you will find the two spots, as well as the IMG tag to use in the conditional.

2: No, there is not a GARS_SHOWTHREAD template. Edit the GARS_pb template, or whatever template you are using for the first post on the showthread page (ACP -> GARS -> Templates -> click a template set -> First post in showthread).

3: Doesn't exist in GARS. Maybe you can find something on vBorg to automatically add a poll to threads in a specific forum.

4: Not a custom profile field. Use custom fields in GARS, or to create a GARS module see this and this.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:17 PM

I created a custom field using GARS, still it does not show when making a new tutorial. I took a look at them two tutorials for creating a module, doing something completely different - so I'm a little stuck. Can't I use the php code I posted above?

I'm in the gars_pb template, but where about is directly under the blocks?

Last edited by Jason2; 06-29-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

That code is incomplete as a module and you can do it with GARS custom fields:
  • Set up a custom field via the ACP -> GARS -> Custom Fields
  • Add the custom fields module via the ACP -> GARS -> Modules
  • Set the custom fields options by clicking the Custom Fields link
  • Tick the custom fields to use via the ACP -> GARS -> Types
In the GARS_pb template are variables like the following, where X is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6:
Code:
$post[GARS_modpositionX]
  • 1: Above Header
  • 2: Inside Header
  • 3: Below Header
  • 4: Left of content
  • 5: Right of content
  • 6: Below content
Not sure about the "Languages" thing. Might be the Filter module on the forumdisplay page or some custom add-on.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 PM

I just placed it after number 5 - but it's showing at the top.

http://www.techsupportteam.org/forum...s-section.html

I will check the custom fields now. And see if I encounter a problem.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Not sure what I am supposed to see on that page. One thing you can do is temporarily add XYZ123 or some other notation to the GARS_pb template and see where it appears on screen, and then you'll get a better idea of what is where.