The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 AM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Problem in 6.01 that affects IE, not FireFox

I have a strange problem affecting my 6.01 installation (brand new installation) see http://www.caymanclub.net and what is happening is that in Internet Explorer after you hover over a link one time and get the pop-up window then you get a javascript error and the pop-up will not open again. I tried it out in FireFox and it is working fine, no javascript error.

Morgan can you check this out to see what the cause might be?

TIA!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Strange that it occurs on your site but not here, but try this. In the gal .js file find:
Code:
var selects = fetch_tags(document, 'select');
And beforehand add the following:
Code:
if (typeof(gal.hidden_selects) == 'undefined')
{
	gal.hidden_selects = new Array();
}
Then after you get the edited gal .js file FTPed, do a hard refresh (e.g., Ctrl-F5) on a webpage with an auto-link and let me know if you still get the error.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Nope didn't fix it, I still have the same error albeit at a different line number now because I added that code to the gal .js file.

I am running VBSEO 3.0 on my site, I am going to go turn it off and see if that makes a difference. Do you know if GAL is compatible with VBSEO 3.0?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:32 PM

Nope that wasn't it, I went into the VBSEO admin panel and deactivated the VBSEO plug in, went back and hard refreshed, saw the regular style URL, tried clicking on it and again one pop-up then an error.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Same issue here.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Okay, try this instead. In the gal .js file, find and add the part in red, FTP the file to the server, and then do a hard refresh (e.g., Ctrl-F5) when on a page with an auto-link:
Code:
	geek_gal_popup.prototype.handle_overlaps = function(dohide)
	{
	        if (1==2 && is_ie)
	        {
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Ok that fixed it, in that I can now launch multiple pop-ups without getting the error. See our topic thread here:

http://www.caymanclub.net/website-fe...requested.html

However, I noticed a difference between IE and FireFox. With IE if I hover over a link I get the popup, but even if I remain hovered the popup goes away after the timeout value I set, 1000 in the decay setting I think it was.
FireFox, on the other hand, keeps the window open for as long as I stay hovered over the link.

I don't know the cause but wanted to report it. Thanks for all your hard work Morgan!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Still don't know why pop-ups barf on your site. Hard to offer a fix when I cannot replicate, but do the following and give it another go.
  • Grab the GAL package again and FTP the following files:
    • /forum/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php
    • /forum/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_dictionary.php
    • /forum/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_vb_db.php
    • /forum/geek/gal/clientscript/gal.js
    • /forum/admincp/gal_admin.php
  • Re-import the product- gal .xml file (do NOT uninstall, do allow overwrite)
  • Via the GAL ACP maintenance section, Rebuild RegExp Cache
  • Clear your browser's cache
Old 01-23-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Still don't know why pop-ups barf on your site. Hard to offer a fix when I cannot replicate, but do the following and give it another go.
  • Grab the GAL package again and FTP the following files:
    • /forum/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php
    • /forum/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_dictionary.php
    • /forum/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_vb_db.php
    • /forum/geek/gal/clientscript/gal.js
    • /forum/admincp/gal_admin.php
  • Re-import the product- gal .xml file (do NOT uninstall, do allow overwrite)
  • Via the GAL ACP maintenance section, Rebuild RegExp Cache
  • Clear your browser's cache
Morgan,
I don't know that it is barfing on my site as I said it is working now for each, just a little differently in each browser. Do you want access to my admincp and ftp access to try some things yourself?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:33 AM
Administrator

First do as in the post you quoted and see if that makes it work more similar across browsers. The 1==2 bit was to get the JavaScript from erring on your site. If it still errors after you do the updates, add back the 1==2 bit and let me know what happens.