The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Look like default vB forumdisplay, but with filter at top?

I'm working on a "Dining" forum that involves seven adjacent cities here in southeastern Virginia. All i want to do is have the normal forumdisplay from vB, but with a filter at the top so people can select which city they want to see posts/reviews from. I want the avatars showing, last post, etc.

basically, I want it to look exactly like the default VB, but with one custom field (the city) and a filter at the top of forumdisplay to choose the city.

When I GARS the forum, all of those old familiar vB things go away. How can I have it look the same as vB, but with the city filter at the top?

I know this is a very simple application of GARS, but that's where I'm starting, until I get more familiar with the system. Any help appreciated!

-tim
Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Easy to do

Just edit the types template set and change GARS_threadbit to threadbit and GARS_threadbit_deleted to threadbit_deleted.

You may also need to change the forumdisplay to accomidate the column changes. In other words, you want a forumdisplay template that is a copy of the standard one, but accomidates the module placement.

HTHs!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Perfect! Thanks so much. I'm finallly starting to understand the depth of this product!

Another question: Id really like peoples' avatars to show up in "showthread" as well. Basically, I just want it to look like VB throughout, but with the filters available in forumdisplay (you already solved that one for me), and with the custom fields at the top of "showthread." In my case, the city that the post relates to. I hope this makes sense.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

You just need to copy vbs postbit and then add the $post[gars_modpositionx] variables where you want the modules to appear. I would play around with those to get ehat youre after.

HTHs!