The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-09-2007, 02:54 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Newbie. Did the search. Still have questions on how to do...

Ive been playing with GARs for about a week now and admittedly Im still lost in a lot of it. Ive been able to post some test articles/reviews from a forum I specified and the snippets as I call them are showing up on my VBa home page.

But I still have questions.

1. When I specify article or review I have to choose a forum. I want to publish all of my web site's content in one repository forum called "news". However we publish all kinds of stories as a sports site. Some are commentary articles (articles by GARs definition) and some are postgame stories which I would classify under GARS review w/chart. How do I get all of my articles to show up in one place? I think it would be confusing for people to have to find my published content in more than one place.

2. See attachment. How do I increase the font size of the story headline on this page where I circled? I also notice the margin between the image header and text there is practically zero. How do I increase that to provide a cushion? You will have to excuse me but please dont just say "yeah edit the sofhsdiohg_llkjjkkljglj_lkdsfgkjdsjkg_gars_skkjfkl fk bit and change it. I know next to nothing about software and code and php and all the rest. Im a writer not a computer hound. If I have dumbed down kindergarten instructions I can usually make it due (to me installing the GARs w/o my board blowing up was a total success that I celebrated all weekend from).

I apologize for my ignorance but I really have no clue on most of this stuff. I have enough hobbies as it is and at this point in my life, I do not have the time to learn another so I need to know just enough to get me what I need then to let it be and never touch it again so I dont break it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gars-pic.jpg (24.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hi there,

You can not mix 'types' in a forum - it simply isnt possible. Therefore you can not have reviews and articles sitting in the same forum. Most people will set up sub forums for what you are trying to do. For instance:

+--Forums
+----News
+------Articles
+------Reviews

Then they would disable posting into news, while leaving articles and reviews open. That results in a far more intuitive searching, posting and reading experience for viewers.

2. I am pretty positive that the latest version has a margin between pic and text. Make sure you are using the latest. As far as your font size - sadly it is a matter of altering your GARS_pb template to meet your needs. There just isnt a way to customize the templates in that way without opening them up and changing them

I hope this helps - let me know if I need to expand on anything else
Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

OK. I think I will just not use the review template and run all stories with the articles one and "rate" whatever it is we need to rate in some other way.

I'll look at that pb template and see if I can make heads or tails of it. Most of that stuff looks like Chinese to me. I'll download the latest update too to see if it helps my cushion. I installed last week. Was there an upgrade since then?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

2.1.5 was released about 5 days ago.

HTHs!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:50 AM

OK upgraded. took care of margin issue.

still dont know how to make the article headline larger in my example. i looked at the code, but it just looks like numbers, letters, and squigglys to me.

if anyone can offer input on how to do this, i would appreciate.

btw, for whatever reason my ws_ftp pro barfs on all gars uploads. only files this happens to. i had to download cute ftp in order to get around this problem. i ftp with ws_ftp nonstop and otherwise never have any issues.

dont know if anyone else has run into this problem.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 AM

I figured it out I figured it out!!!

Code:
<span style="font-size: 16px;"><strong>$post[title]</strong></span>
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 AM

Spoke too soon. Now I get this. This makes absolutely no sense. I have the templates back to exactly how they were originally and Im getting double headline and user at the top.

Id be happy to just pay someone to make whatever changes Id like. This is way way way over my head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gars-problem.jpg (36.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by UDPride; 03-10-2007 at 05:45 AM..
Old 03-10-2007, 10:01 AM

It looks like you duplicated it that line

Search for <strong>$post[title]</strong> and make sure there arent 2 in there. Your code should sort you out just fine.