The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 10-08-2005, 05:57 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Modifying popup look

Im trying to modify how the popup box looks. I use Trillian for my IM program and really like the way they display their popups. Would I just edit the gal_popup.js to modify how the popup looks? I've attached an image of what Im referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popup.jpg (56.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

If you are gunning for multiple columns, then yes - you will have edit the js file. Otherwise, all style options are easily handled through GALs admincp interface.

Looks cool
Old 10-08-2005, 07:55 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Got it working on my site at http://www.vanguardspheres.com. If you hover over the auto-linked words fan art contest you can see the results. I just cant figure out where the tiny black dot midway down the popup on the left side is coming from.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Looks good! You shouldnt of had to edit the js file to get that. Did you in the end?

I also dont see any black dot (using IE).

nJoy
Old 10-09-2005, 09:06 PM

Yeah I added a <td> and had to switch one of the innerhtml lines around.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Short of moving the HTML to be a vB template, any chance of getting the JS file changed so that the title on the first line is surrounded by 'strong' tags?

Free Fonts ~ Digital Photography Help
Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 PM

A quick edit to the js file should do it.

Are you guys thinking it should become a template? Would be handy, however I dont know how possible it is how its designed now.

It would be handy though... you know, choose your template for the category. It could simplify stuff like the styles GAL uses now.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
A quick edit to the js file should do it.
Already did it .... but I know me, I'll forget about it and the next GAL upgrade I'll overwrite the hacked version. Most likely, now that I'm playing with it, I'll change the output again to have the link displayed inside of the display box; that way users will know it's an actual link and not just an FYI pop-up box.

Quote:
Are you guys thinking it should become a template?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Quote:
Would be handy, however I dont know how possible it is how its designed now.
If it was PHP code I could help you; there it'd just be an EVAL command with the name of the template. By doing it as a JS function I'm not sure.

Free Fonts ~ Digital Photography Help
Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 PM

Same here. I hate javascript.
Im not 100% sure how to do it yet. Could most likely do it with ajax, but it seems a lot of back end overhead to do.

Ill give it some more thought.

BTW: You can put $url in your description for a link. Not sure if thats what you are after, but it will parse it and stick the link in there.