The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.1.2 Release Discussion

I have just uploaded GARS 2.1.2 to the download section for active license holders. Please make sure you read this post for important info on upgrading.

This release is to address a few minor bugs that affect some configurations and to introduce a new feature: The ratings editor.

This release addresses the following bugs:
1- Forumdisplay layout issues (if no posts, the centre column looked a bit squiffy). GARS_forumdisplay will need a revert if you made changes.
2- GARS_pb layout oddness. If using the left column, it had a happy tendency to go really freaking wide.
3- The was a hard coded phrase in gars_class_page.php
4- Superfluous nested table in the featured module fixed
5- Bug fixed in term generator that screwed up instances where plurals ended in ies instead of s
6 - Superfluous line breaks in threadbit preview fixed

Notes about the Ratings editor.

The ratings editor is found in the admincp tools menu. Its a slightly early release, but I wanted to get these other issues resolved and out so its kind of an early x-mas present
Note that on types that merge author and member ratings together: If you use the ratings editor to make any changes, you will need to rebuild the ratings from the tools menu when you're all done.

Upgrading:

Download the latest package and upload the contents of the upload folder to their corresponding location on your server.
re-import the product-gars.XML into your product editor (choosing to overwrite existing install). Note that this can take a minute.
Click tools->rebuild custom field phrases
Re import the templates and phrases only of any gars add on packages (i.e. the links directory and/or release system) via the gars importer (make sure you tick the phrases and templates only option).

nJoy
Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

you really do love us...
Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

I had just purchased and installed 2.1.1, about 11 hours before the 2.1.2 release. <sigh> But we're already upgraded, so life is good again.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Just so everyone is aware, these arent show stopper issues, they are bug clean ups that address issues with some configurations. It's always wise to be running the latest version, but if you arent seeing any of these issues, there isnt a major rush to upgrade
Old 12-13-2006, 04:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I have a question. I just finished upgrading to 2.1.1 (it was not easy)
I have several custom templates and the link addon. What would I have to to do so that I basically don't have to rebuild my entire GARS install?

PS. Last time I did this, I lost all my custom field data
Old 12-13-2006, 05:32 PM

Not sure why the upgrade would have been difficult, nor why you would have lost custom fields. An upgrade wont remove custom fields (unless you uninstalled it first).

Your custom templates should stay the same as long as they are not created as 'gars' products (I think this is only availible in debug mode but I could be wrong there). When vB upgrades a product, it first deletes ALL of the products phrases and templates, then installs the new ones. The reason that you have to re-import the add ons (ie the release and the link add ons) is because they are installed as GARS templates and phrases - hence vB deletes them when you upgrade gars. When you reimport them and choose the templates and phrases only option, it puts back what vB took out.

The only other thing you might have to do is run the rebuild custom field phrases tool option after install as vB usually deletes those too.

Regardless, its a pretty straight forward job. Took about 3 minutes to update this site (including the reimporting of the add ons)
Old 12-13-2006, 05:42 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
Not sure why the upgrade would have been difficult, nor why you would have lost custom fields. An upgrade wont remove custom fields (unless you uninstalled it first).

Your custom templates should stay the same as long as they are not created as 'gars' products (I think this is only availible in debug mode but I could be wrong there). When vB upgrades a product, it first deletes ALL of the products phrases and templates, then installs the new ones. The reason that you have to re-import the add ons (ie the release and the link add ons) is because they are installed as GARS templates and phrases - hence vB deletes them when you upgrade gars. When you reimport them and choose the templates and phrases only option, it puts back what vB took out.

The only other thing you might have to do is run the rebuild custom field phrases tool option after install as vB usually deletes those too.

Regardless, its a pretty straight forward job. Took about 3 minutes to update this site (including the reimporting of the add ons)
I will try it again... (holding breath) taking it slower this time.. hopefully things will work out better this round.

PS. do I need to import my Hyperlink addon module afterwards again?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:35 PM

All addons (i.e. the link add on) must be re-imported via GARS add on importer after upgrading GARS as vB deletes their templates and phrases. There is an option to ONLY import the phrases and templates. Make sure you tick that option when you import it.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Thanks for the Update. :-)

One very minor thing:

I just installed and the ACP lists GARS 2.1.2, but the footer of a "garsed" forums says "Snippets powered by GARS 2.1.0 ©2005-2006 "

Can anyone confirm the wrong version-numer or is this an error on my side? (no customized templates)

kind regaerds,
Gérome
Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gérome View Post
Thanks for the Update. :-)

One very minor thing:

I just installed and the ACP lists GARS 2.1.2, but the footer of a "garsed" forums says "Snippets powered by GARS 2.1.0 ©2005-2006 "

Can anyone confirm the wrong version-numer or is this an error on my side? (no customized templates)

kind regaerds,
Gérome
My footer shows 2.1.2, seems to be an error on your side.