The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS -> crisyideas.com

Hey kids,

I was wondering if you think its feasible to adapt the GARS to replicate the voting system found on crispyideas.com? I use their tool right now:

http://reusers.server-planet.com/index.php?page=ideas

but my users have expressed hesitency at using it as it is an external site and they'd prefer not to have to create another login.

The kicker for me is that it would need to turn a forum(s) into what amounts to a dynamic poll.

Thoughts?

Pete
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I suppose you could, however I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish by that voting system. What is the purpose and goal? People submit news stories and they vote for the best ones? If so, what are the qualifying periods? One day, one week?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM

In the context of my site it is a system to suggest and vote on improvements, changes, or new features to a software suite provided by a company called Blackbaud.

It has been implemented extremely well for a similar product called salesforce.com. Have a look at ideas.salesforce.com.

I want a way to be able to provide evidence to Blackbaud of the top X fixes/changes/improvements as requested by the user community. This would ideally be considered by their product developers when deciding what to work on next.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmmm... I would assume it would do the trick for you. Best way is to try it out on a test forum as you are a license holder already.

HTHs
Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 PM

I would need to figure out how to add or implement the following features:

- modify the rating display to show in the threadbit
- quick link in the threadbit to add a vote for a suggestion
- forum display sorting options (highest/lowest vote, vote count, age of suggestion)

Are these native to GARS and I am just not seeing them?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:04 PM

The first is native (check out the test review section here)
The second could most likely be done with a simple link to the popup voting window. You could use the ajax one, but it would increase server load trying to do it for 30 threads a page.
You can sort by highest overall member or author rating already, but you may need to modify for additional sorting/grouping.

HTHs
Old 12-11-2006, 03:11 PM

Hey Geek,

After looking more closely at how teh Review area is laid out, I think you are right. It does procvide the core functionality I am looking for
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
The second could most likely be done with a simple link to the popup voting window. You could use the ajax one, but it would increase server load trying to do it for 30 threads a page.
Could you provide me with a little more detailed info on how/where I'd go about implementing this?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:17 PM

the popup would need this code in the template (or similar):

<a href="#" onclick='window.open("./reviewrate.php?do=rate&t=$thread[threadid]","gar_quickrate","left=20,top=20,width=300,height =200,toolbar=0,resizable=1,scrollbars=1");'>RATE THIS MUTHA!!!</a>
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 PM

I love you...

the next obvious question is how to turn that into an AJAX popup rather than a new browser popup.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM

I wouldnt advise that because of performance problems. Because of the cofigurability of GARS, whenever a member gets a chance to rate, GARS must first fetch the authors ratings, loop through those and then grab the users ratings (regardless of if they have done it before) and then apply logic and loop through those. That can spell out to a lot of extra processing.

You could look for a custom solution that would ignore the special circumstances and NOT show the revious ratings. In fact, it could possibly be done 'on the fly' with ajax, but as its coded right now, GARS needs to do all the other stuff first.

o. And I love you to