The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Lightbulb A couple of suggestions

First of all i've got to say that this is a great hack and worth every penny.
Having said that i got a couple of tiny suggestions for the final version :
1. I think that a default type should be present with all the modules arranged in a "suggested" way. It's nice to have the ability to play with this around but most users will appriciate a baisic "type" to work with and apply changes to.
2. This is actually a problem i have with several additional hacks but im currently using the vba CMPS to manage my "portal" now i already have a left/right bar with the cmps information. Would it be possible to export the modules to CMPS ? i actually haven't tested this yet but i'm assuming i'll get some problem with the sql queries and vars.
3. You should probably put all the premade modules avilable without the need to reset. Again this is just a usabliity suggestion.

Thats about it, again great work
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks for the great feedback.

Currently the biggest problem I am running into is:
1- Lack of documentation
2- Lack of pre-installed configurations.

Both are planned for RC/Gold release, however I am thinking of introducing it by next Beta as a lot of my time has been spent helping users get the initial configuration done.
In retrospect, it should have been there from the start, however I more/less released it early for those who "just plain had to have something now!" and were willing to 'feel' around the configuration to get something up.

So I 100% agree with points 1 and 3. I think its in dire need. I was hoping to go to RC for next release... however I may have to spend my GARS dev time making configuration and setup a little easier for new users which will mean I wont get the extra couple features added that I am after.
Saying that, They are features that are not show stoppers - and a new users frustration with configuration is a show stopper!

Now for #2 - thats a different question. One of those "how long is a bit o string" things.
There is no way that a CMPS block will just 'slot' into a GRAS block - however I am sure many could with little tweaking.
If I recall right - I gave you some prototype code in the past for a feautred/random block that you eventually got to work. I am sure that would only require VERY minor tweaking to work.

It may help to know exactly what you had in mind.

Thanks again