The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-20-2006, 02:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Question Feasibility question involving custom fields and images etc...

Greetings all!

My Wife and I run a DIY forum that is building a knowledgebase of very specialized (but very useful!) information.

We're completely reworking the site, and one of the core systems is a pictures database with fairly extensive categorization of the images. The STORAGE of the images is in the FS in a simple subdirectory system created in an images folder with a subdirectory for each member, named their username logically enough. When they upoad the images they have to fill in all the categorization information so that later, members can search for images in many different ways to find something to help them in the design of their own project. This is only for images used for certain things in the site, not random posts about kid's halloween costumes etc. But any project or modification specific photos are funneled through our upload process to capture the data needed.

Ok, now I get to the part where GARS comes in:

I want to use GARS to replace my 95% done PHP based system (Dreamweaver with InteraKt extentions) for Article composition as we really want to leverage the authentication and feedback capabilities of vB, and GARS looks like our best bet for customizing the thread to do what we need.

AND HERE'S THE ACTUAL QUESTIONS:

1. Can image upload for GARS be modified so that a member can ONLY use images from their subdirectory, maybe by appending the username to the GARS image source path? Can we disable the ability to upload from the user's workstation? It doesn't have to be bullet proof, just strongly GUIDE them in that direction.

2. Can we have them use (basically pick a variable number of images out of their image folder) multiple images and give each one a unique caption, and then have them display as thumbnails along the bottom of the initial Article post? Well, I know from reading through the online documentation that we can have it display along the bottom, but I'm afraid that's about as deep as my grokking of details of GARS capability goes atm . I'm VERY impressed by what I DO understand, but can it do *this*? I've no clue... So I've come to the experts!

3. Speaking of experts, we have some investment coming in and are thinking about subcontracting out some of the trickier bits. I can maintain it, but it'd be an enourmous help to have some help in getting the initial project off the ground, given all the other parts I'm working on I'm not sure I have time to learn a whole new toolset well enough to do some of the parts in a timely fashion. Is it possible to find reliable folks to help out with the GARS related work? We'd love to develop an ongoing relationship with someone we can hire from time to time to help out in crunch time projects.

Thanks for letting me bend your screen's pixels a bit, and I hope I haven't stepped on any local posting protocol *too* baddly... I also hope the above was more or less coherent, I've been fending off questions from my 4 and 5 year olds about things like what a "session variable" IS today, and I'm a *tad* frazzled .

Oh and thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions/clarifications/answers you can toss my way!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey there.

Out of the box, GARS isn't going to take care of your image needs. Saying that, if you already have a system that allows them to store the images, then really its just a matter of allowing them to insert those images within their post/article. The Geek Gallery Popup over on vb.org could be a starting point to give your users a 'browser' to walk through and select their images to stick in their posts, however it would require re-tooling for it (to be honest, I doubt it would be too much if I understand your file structure). You could then tweak the javascript in the popup to ask them for a caption before inserting the thumbnail/image. Yes, I think its pretty dooable. Now comes the pants part: I would love to help - but all my coding time is devoted strictly to developing my core products. Not customising existing ones. I would love to help - but my customers waiting for GARS, GAL and GAB iterations come first.

I would look around on here, then think about asking on .org. I am sure you will get a response if you are willing to pay for the work.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:43 PM

Excellent, thanks for the reply, I think we might do that. Are you saying that the GPOP over on vBulletin.org could be used sort of like a module for GARS?

I took benj up on his offer to sell us his licenses so we'll see what we can do with it.

As soon as the licensing transfer is complete I look forward to trying to get a rough handle on the systems while we look for a hired gun, and yes, we expect to pay a reasonable amount for the help .

James and Susan
Old 11-20-2006, 08:22 PM

It wouldnt be a module for GARS, it would be an add on to vB - however a quick conditional would make it only display on GARS enabled forums.

What I would suggest is checking out the popup code on .org. Change it to pull from the db to the file system. Since its only a page, it shouldnt be too much fiddling about for a decent coder to modify for you. Unless you wanted to customize it even further, it would essentially put the images inline with the post. If you wanted like a 'sidebar' styled module... that would require additional coding. Get someone good