The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-08-2006, 08:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Custom Fields Searchable

Are custom fields somehow searchable, so that if anyone wants to filter/search articles according parameters in custom field he will be able to do so?

Regards,
Kafi
Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

That isnt a feature for 2.0 however its something I will be looking into
Old 09-08-2006, 09:28 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafi
Are custom fields somehow searchable, so that if anyone wants to filter/search articles according parameters in custom field he will be able to do so?

Regards,
Kafi
That may be a good idea but we may choose which field needs to be searchable or not.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

That is the largest problem. Trying to create an intuitive UI for the custom fields. GARS can get pretty complex in its varied configurations which means that coming up with simple UIs for complex things becomes a challenge.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:40 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Here's a thought which may act as a good stepping stone to fully searchable custom fields

Allow people to create a GALS customfield. When I got GALS I used it to create keyword links that search for similar terms. For example create a GAL for the keyword "Monkey" and the link goes to search for the word Monkey on the forums. The only problem is that it searches the description field, which isn't really precise.

TO begin you would have to create a custom field that only allows GAL input and creates a drop down menu or check box on the search page. In order for it to be effective the GAL links and the GAL search function would need to search only the custom GAL field. That way other terms on the board would not be search. In the end the whole thing works kinda like a tagging system.

I figure it would be easier to do this than try to tackle a all custom field variables at a time. Just a thought and probably harder than I make it sound.

An added bonus for you Geek is that it encourages people to by GALS too!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:06 AM

I see what youre saying. It will be easy enough with 5.0 I think
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

It would be an advantage to have a search module, I understand that's not easy to make it. But I think a basic matrix should be done quickly.
This means e.g. a modified search.php with the ability to make a forum search and including some example lines searching on custom gars db fields 1-10. And a template with a text search field, a dropdown select field and a select box. This would be enough to play around with. Thank you.