The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Performance Issues and Linking an Exact Phase Only

Hi,

I'm new to the this Geek Autolinker so forgive me if these questions have been answered:

1. I just bought this and I'm wondering if anyone has used it for a large board over 1 million posts and if there's any performance issues. What type of performance hit should one expect from GAL ?

As I understand it, GAL parses the entire contents of each posts each time something is loaded, doesn't that make it use a lot of resources? Anyone with any personal experience?

2. I'd like to link exact phrases only so if I wanted to link car, it shouldn't link the word carbon, how can I achieve that?

3. I'm trying to use multiple words seperated by a comma for the replacement text in an item but I didn't seem to work. Does the order matter in this case? For example if I use the following in the replacement text field would it work?

1and1, 1 and 1, 1 & 1, 1and1.com, 1and1's, 1and1.com's

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hi there.

There are performance considerations that must be made when using GAL , however like anything its a matter of balance and how you use it.

With the current version of GAL , for mega busy sites, its best to keep the amount of entries to a minimum. 1000 entries could bring a site to its knees where as 20 entries wont make any difference.

In 5.0 which isn't too much further away - I have created a caching system that will make it pretty irrelevant how many entries you have.

As for the exact linking, GAL looks for word boundaries. For example, an entry for car wont link carbon but will link car, cars, CaR! etc... In 5.0 there is even greater control over this functioning.

All of the above for point 3 should be fine, however with vB, the & sign is usually translated to & which is the HTML equivalent. The apostrophes may cause a problem too.

HTHs
Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the quick response, so I guess I'll need to wait for version 5. When is that coming out?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Beta should be in the next couple of weeks
Old 08-16-2006, 06:29 PM

We've got probably a thousand links and I really need to launch with this functionality and I'm aiming at September 3rd so hopefully I can get my hands on something before then. Thanks for your help and I can't wait to get my hands on the beta.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:42 PM

That may be tight - but then again - it may not be
Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 PM

Definitely keep me up to date then, otherwise we'll have to hack together a solution... but I'd much rather use your product.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Id much rather you do too

Actually, if you can find something cooler than 5.0 - jump on it. 5.0 is looking SAWEEEET!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Id much rather you do too

Actually, if you can find something cooler than 5.0 - jump on it. 5.0 is looking SAWEEEET!!!
Any updates? I don't think there's anything cooler, but if we had to we could hack something together... but I'd rather use your product of course. Bring on 5.0!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:32 PM

Its coming

If we are lucky, first public beta will be toward the end of this week.