The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 07-20-2006, 07:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Unhappy lots of bugs...

Just installed gars on a new site.. fresh install.
have lots of issues. (this is gars rc2.. cache folder is chmodded 777, no settings are being cached for now for testing ..)

1) well for starters, the thumb to url and thumb to image upload, never show up. I have them registered, module is registered, also set to show in types but try as i might it would never show. plus when it is enabled, no other custom field shows also. Either way the data entered in the url field is never saved.. or shown atleast on the edit page and no data is shown in the showthread page.(the gars show page i mean)

2) i delete the above, and the other fields start to show. eg the radio button field is showing now after deleting the thumb custom fields

and yes i have it set up.. first did the field, then the settings for that, then the module is registered and edited to show what fields i want and then assigned to the type to show... see screenshots..

they are shown at the newthread/edit time but not on the article display...

3) i never get an independent upload to url box. its always in conjunction with the file upload box. see below screens. this is even though i always choose one option. imo if its direct URI upload why should it show the browse file select?

4) even if i have the checkbox disdabled for a custom type in module settings for the custom field, the custom field still shows. case in point is the hack thumb to image again...

5) getting this db error while using inline edit in gars...(this is while deleting using inline edit)

k thats about it.. maybe i did do something wrong so posting here and once confirmed will put in bug tracker.

Last edited by acers; 07-20-2006 at 07:51 PM..
Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1- Make sure that your custom module is set to show those custom fields.

2- The module displays results while the type setting allow for an edit. You need to have the custom field created, have it ticked in the type settings AND have the types module set contain a custom fields module whose settings have it showing the results fo the custom field (hell, that damn near confused me!)

Point 3 & 4 is confusing me ?

5 - Im ditching ajax editing of first post. There are too many woes with it and GARS.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hehe.. ok i will try explaing it a bit more. its pretty confusing here also :d

basically can you test the thumb functionality here. I just cannot get it to work no matter what. I have done what you suggested in 1 and 2 above but it still does not show the thumb image(And yes i have the dimensions and the size set properly.

What i was trying to say in 3 and 4 was that when you have the url to thumb custom field, then it should show only a simple <input type="text"...> box for entering the url to the image ...right? Now in my case a <input type="file" ...> is also shown above the simple text box. Thats even when i am using just the url to thumb and not upload the thumb custon field.

And whatever value is entered in that field, is not saved. Cos when i edit the article, the url field(the one containing the url to thumb) is blank... or is that by design?)

Basically the main thing is that the url to thumb custom field is not working. I guess the res of the fields are perfect
Old 07-24-2006, 02:01 AM

umm did you test the above fields here geek?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Both are working as expected here-> http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?p=9250
Old 07-24-2006, 02:54 PM

hmm it is showing here but some issues here too,,
see this
http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread....0185#post10185

i uploaded a image from my computer in the "thumbnail" field
and a url in the url thumb field..

in the main display both images are shown same when they aren't,
the url is prefixed with a http://
and on clicking them i am not shown the original image as its written but the same image as shown.
"When clicked, will show original"
Old 07-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Fair enough on the http:// prefix, however the others show as expected I would have thought. I limited the size to 50x50 max and a tiny upload size. Ill check into again later.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 PM

either i have got the feature list wrong (which is quite possible )
but wasn't the second image supposed to be what the image was on the link that i entered? cos right now its the same as the first image uploaded from my comp and both are different.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:57 PM

To me it looks like you uploaded the same image.
One is a link to the original image while one is a thumbnail that links to a URL
Old 07-25-2006, 04:16 AM

nope what i actually did was i uploaded a image in the "Thumbnail " field but i never uploaded an image in the "URL Thumb" field. It automatically took the image from the above "Thumbnail" field.
Anyway i tried to upload a new image in the second field but it always take the upper image.
see the screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen2.jpg (65.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg screen3.jpg (93.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg svcreen1.jpg (104.1 KB, 5 views)