The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default How to create a GAL popup that looks this good...?

Ok, I saw this the other day and thought WOW, what a cracking popup layout.arch.jpg
Anyone have an idea how to code this?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Youll be able to with 5.0 however the one thing I havent figured out yet is positioning the callout. So, that may be the one thing that you wont be able to do with 5.0
Old 06-22-2006, 10:26 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

WOW, excellent. How though, do you get the curve on the top edge?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

By encasing content in gifs with transparent edges. The standard popup that will come with 5.0 has rounded corners - however not to that extreme.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 PM

Excellent... that's great news. I have just been reading the v5.0 thread and WOW.... looking forward to that.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Same with me. It looks pretty good
Old 06-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King
Same with me. It looks pretty good
Hi LK, I read in another thread that you have already added 100 GAL entries but that you are not happy about adding any more...!! Can I ask why this is so please?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:19 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themusicman
Hi LK, I read in another thread that you have already added 100 GAL entries but that you are not happy about adding any more...!! Can I ask why this is so please?
I am not unhappy exactly. These last 2 month i never had enough spare time. New work , news with the baby and after that the death vs.
I cant do anything exect upgrading my software

Also my main problem is with the language some letters like ç , ğ , ı are messed up while adding the entries so i had to check every word one by one and it takes a lot of time
Old 06-23-2006, 03:21 PM

OMG... the 'death'... sorry to hear this news.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:16 PM

I can however offer a little explanation for my support of his hesitation.

Doing a preg_replace of 100 gal entires on a typical page with 15 posts = 1,500 searches every time someone pops open a page.
GAL is pretty fast considering all of the functions it has - however I would even get hesitating about that many entires on a site if it was moderately busy (its a matter of a balance between your server resources and your traffic). Not only the search is intensive, but there are a lot of memory requirements when your search is that huge.

Saying that, there are plenty that have far more than that. I once helped a user with a non related issue that had over 900 entries!!! I was amazed that I didn't even really notice a perform ace hit on his site.
Saying that, it wasn't overly busy and one can assume he had a high spec'd server.

So... How do we help Lizard out?

By creating a more superior caching system.

The idea being that GAL can track which matches were made (better in 5.0 than ever before).
I am looking into a way that GAL can then save a record of the right matches for that thread and that page. That way, GAL first checks to see if there is a record of matches for that thread and page. If so, it restricts its search/replace only to those items.
Lets face it, you could have 900 GAL entries - but how many are ever going to appear on a page? 5? 10? 0? If so, 10 preg_replaces on 15 posts is NOTHING. Even on a very busy server.

Great you say... but there are some complexities with that.

First off, there is the style issue. Depending on the style, the RESULTS of the GAL 's could be different. Therefore I need to cache by threadid, page number AND styleid.

Second, there is an increase query count.
1- Initialise GAL (a query)
2- Check for cache.
3- Pull GAL entries (limiting results by cache if possible).
4- Save any where you need to track impressions (optional query).
5- Cache the results (if the cache want used in the first place).

That kind of sucks. Well, it really only sucks from a query watchers perspective. Each of those queries are so infinitesimal that it is still FAR more efficient than:

1- Initialise GAL
2- Pull ALL Gals
3- Persist impressions (optional)

People say '2 MORE FREAKING QUERIES!!! THAT SUCKS!' but they don't think... hey, That means 100 times better performance!

Heck, imagine a page where there were no matches.

Pre 5.0 process:
1- ini GAL
2- Grab all GALS
3- Search and replace on ALL GALS for each post on a page (even though there are no matches)
4- Exit GAL .

5.0 Process:
1- Ini GAL
2- Check cache (it says no matches)
3- exit GAL .

5.0 will be MUCH MUCH better in the long run as you can (hopefully) see.
Furthermore I am looking at using a file cache system as an option. Therefore instead of a query to the cache, it would just grab the contents of a file.
The trade off for this is a lot of extra small files.

Don't know why I just wrote a novel on that. However there you have it.

Caching, GAL , 5.0 and how to have a crap load of GALs on a busy board