The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Modifications > Tutorials

Tutorials Tutorials and articles on using vB Geek stuff.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Custom Fields
Custom Fields
Published by The Geek
06-05-2006
Default Introduction

Here I am going to cover the basics of creating Custom Fields in GARS 2.0

Please note that this documentation was created for GARS 2.0 Beta 2. It may not be 100% up to date and things may change as future versions come out.

Step 1
Create a custom field

To create a custom field, click admincp->gars->custom fields->add new
Choose the type of custom field you want to create. Please note that you can not change the type after you created it - however you can always delete and create another!

Here is a quick overview of each type at time of writing this:
  • text - A one line text box.
  • Large text - a large text area
  • Whole number - A one line text box that only accepts whole numbers
  • Date selector - allows entering of dates
  • Single check box - um. Guess? That's right a single check box!
  • Check Boxes - allows you to create a group of tick boxes
  • Radio Buttons - Create a group of radio buttons
  • Select box - allows a drop down combo box.
  • Snipped URL - Allows users to enter in a URL, but display will be snipped after x amount of characters.
  • Thumbnail to original image - allows users to upload an image. When displayed, they only get a thumbnail that when clicked, will open the browser to the original image.
  • Thumbnail to URL - Allows user to upload an image which is thumb nailed. User also enters a URL. When you click on the thumbnail, it takes you to the URL.
Once you choose which field type you want, you will be able to enter the settings for the field.

• Title What you want to call it. It also appears above the custom field when a user is creating/editing their GAR
  • Description A short description for the field. It too appears above the custom field when creating/editing an item.
  • Display Order The, er - order it displays. A lower number makes it display earlier
Other settings should be self explanatory. However I'm sure Ill be writing info on each type later.

Step 2
Assign the custom field to one or more types.

Edit the types you want to assign the custom field to (admincp->gars->types).
At the bottom of the page, you will see all available types that you can assign. Assign by ticking the box next to the custom field and clicking Save.

From that stage, the fields will be available when editing and creating a new GARS controlled thread.

Tutorial for
GARS

Contents

Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 

<< <    Next Page: Showing the results! (Page 1 of 2)    >  >>
By benj on 08-20-2006, 04:00 PM

when making a custom template for a field.whats the varible for the value of the field ?
By The Geek on 08-21-2006, 08:41 AM

Sorry, you lost me
By benj on 08-21-2006, 09:56 AM

when adding a custom field to the custom module it offers you the option to use a template ? how do thouse templates work ?
By The Geek on 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM

What it does is allow you to override the default template for displaying the item or hosing the module.

That gives you the ability to do something far cooler then simply showing the text results. The standard results for that module are displayed in GARS_custom_row.
By beduino on 10-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Default very good

this tutorial is very clear and useful,
but my first tentative fails...when i will display in my personal module set - he don't appears!
what i do wrong?
tks
beduino
By The Geek on 10-15-2006, 05:56 AM

If the custom fields appear when creating/editing a thread but do not appear when viewing a thread... the most common culprit is your Custom Fields module settings.

Edit the module set for the type in question.
On the showthread page of the module set, click the Custom Field module (if the module isnt there, you need to add it)
Tick each field you want to display.

Save it and bob should be your uncle.

HTHs
By beduino on 10-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Exclamation it helps!

Well,
I'm learning the use of GARS.
In fact the 'custom fields' is to author, and no to comments of viewers and users. IMHO this mod is one of better licences I have !
All the best,
Beduino
ps. a lot of questions will be come
By Julian on 11-02-2006, 06:59 PM

I have another challange: I want to display the Value of the custom-field inside of another template. Well, to be clear: Behind the picture displayed should be a link and a part of the link is the custom-field.

The custom-field is named " test " and the content of one of the posts is "12345". Now I want to have a link in the postbit which is built up like this:

www.abcde.de/index.php&test=12345&somethingelse

I´d like to get this in the way of:
Quote:
<a href="www.abcde.de/index.php&test="+"$table[test]&somethingelse" >$vbphrase[blabla]</a>
Is this possible?

Best wishes, Julian!
By The Geek on 11-04-2006, 01:10 AM

It should be fine. instead of $table[ test ], try $post[gars1] (where gars1 is the field name)

HTHs
Comment

Tutorial Tools