The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-03-2006, 09:10 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Questions about GARS

I am looking for a good article system that will work with vBulletin and with CMPS. I have a bunch of questions about this GARS article system. I am sorry I have to ask here but I could not fine a description anywhere where it listed on the features.

1. Will this work hand and hand with vB?
2. Can articles be put into the vBadvance CMPS frontpage?
3. Can member submit articles and have then wait for approval?
4. Once a member’s article has been approved can they go back and update and edit it at any time?
5. Is there anyplace I can get a demo to play with before I purchase it?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:25 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey there,

1- Yes
2- As in a vbaCMPS module? Yes. There are a couple vbaCMPS modules available in the add ons section.
3- Yes, GARS essentially sits on top of admin specified forums. That way anything you can do with a forum or thread you can do with GARS. In this instance, you would set the specified for to 'moderate to threads' and then all new entries would then need to be moderated.
4- Yup.
5- The only place is an older LITE version of GARS at .org. It limits you to 1 forum and you cant do a lot of the other things you can with the pro version, however its still a great way to get a taste for it

HTHs
Old 06-04-2006, 04:09 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Thank you for you response.

I just installed the LITE version from vB.org and I am very impressed. The only feature that would convince me to get the Pro version would be is I could have a navbar with drop down menus on it for the right or left side of the article like the modules that show up.

I have included a sample snapshot of the navbar that I am referring to. Each link you click on has a drop down menu. You can not see it but it does.

Does the pro version have this?

Oh another question while I am here. Can you pull an HTML file into an article to be displayed in the article?
Attached Images
File Type: gif article.gif (5.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by attroll; 06-04-2006 at 05:12 AM..
Old 06-04-2006, 08:30 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

No, there isn't any ability for GARS to do that, however there is a sub category module that can give you similar functionality (though its far more simplistic): http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=843
Actually, I'm not sure why I don't just fold that into 2.0

Yes you can do HTML however It is not GARS strong point simply because it isn't vB's strong point. Most people are not 100% happy with HTML display in vB (and hence GARS).
All message/attachment stuff is handled almost solely by vB which gives you a lot of power (and familiarity) working within it - however it also brings a few vB limitations with it.

HTS'
Old 06-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
No, there isn't any ability for GARS to do that, however there is a sub category module that can give you similar functionality (though its far more simplistic): http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=843
Actually, I'm not sure why I don't just fold that into 2.0
I saw that one before I wrote. But I want the ability to have drop down menu's. I already have a make shift articles system on my computer now and it is set up by categories and when you click on the categories then it provides a drop down for each category. I have a lot of articles. I would like to keep a menu on the left column but if I list them like the hack that you are referring to then it will be a very long list. This is whay I need the drop down menu functionability.
Quote:
Yes you can do HTML however It is not GARS strong point simply because it isn't vB's strong point. Most people are not 100% happy with HTML display in vB (and hence GARS).
All message/attachment stuff is handled almost solely by vB which gives you a lot of power (and familiarity) working within it - however it also brings a few vB limitations with it.
I knew you could do it this way. What I was referring to was being able to pull an HTML file that is on the server into the article. So when the article opens it opens the conent area. The way vBadvance CMPS does it.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:30 PM

I got a drop down menu to work. I will add it to the "Add ons and modifications" section later on.

Now if I could just pull HTML files into the article from the server like CMPS does this would put this article hack where no one could touch it. I can not figure this one out though.

Can this be done or not?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM

You mean use a template instead of content?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
You mean use a template instead of content?
What I mean is if I have a HTML file stored on my server called " test .htm" and I want it to be displayed where the content of a article would be it will put that " test .htm" file in the content of the article.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 AM

No, gars can't do that and i'm not sure how I would even look at instigating it with the infrastructure gars has. GARS transforms a thread into a tutorial/review/whatever, however its still a thread underneath. Using an external file as the first post in a thread would be a challenge