The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-05-2006, 02:12 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Hey Mr Geek

you dont understand how much ive been looking around for a hack kinda like this one. Fundementally im looking for a kind of vbulletin Wiki script that will allow people to create add and edit articles.

Features i require.
  • inter article links so maybe [[food]] would link to the article called food.
  • htaccess so i could have .com/articlename or .com/forumname/articlename
  • a way of checking pages before there made public as well as everytime there edited. (so articles arent trashed)

as i would be using this as a kind of wikimedia script with the permissions system of GARS would i be able to set it so all registered members can edit this article???

Geek from VB.org i know your the man so if you could help me out here that would be amazing

kind Regards

Ben Walsh (sorry about the grammer / spelling kinda excited)

Last edited by benj; 06-05-2006 at 02:26 AM..
Old 06-05-2006, 08:06 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey Benji.

For interlinking, you would need GAL , however there is integration between GARS and GAL so that you can enter keywords into GAL via GARS.
I wouldnt be able to help with the modrewrite however most other modrewrites for vB support this too (just make sure you ask if they do first). For instance, vbSEO has built in GARS support.
You can set the forum that GARS controls to be moderated so you would need to approve all new posts and/or new threads before they were made public - so that's covered

As far as the ability for others to edit the article, this isnt possible. HOWEVER I am getting a lot of requests for this, so I am tinking with the idea (ONLY TINKERING!!!)

Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:54 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
You can set the forum that GARS controls to be moderated so you would need to approve all new posts and/or new threads before they were made public - so that's covered
The problem with this is it doesnt require moderation if someone edits an article. is that correct...

Quote:
As far as the ability for others to edit the article, this isnt possible. HOWEVER I am getting a lot of requests for this, so I am tinking with the idea (ONLY TINKERING!!!)
Tinker Tinker you know you like it
Old 06-05-2006, 01:22 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmmm. Don't know as Ive never used it
Old 06-05-2006, 01:23 PM

ah ok ill have to play with it
Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

No, moderated forums do not govern thread/post edits. They only allow you to screen new threads/posts.

To accomplish something like this with what is currently in place, you would have to have people copy the article into a new place and add in their edits and submit it for approval. The approving body would then need to copy over the new article/changes. Not a very elegant solution, and requires a level of end-user understanding and training that is is probably unrealistic from anyone but your moderators or staff.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:05 PM

hmmmmmm cheers. i found this out..... might need to request a plugin or something ...... otherwise im stumped
Old 06-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

benj, have you looked at the MediaWiki/vBulletin integration or vbDrupal? GARS is great, but if you want a wiki, you might be better off looking at wikis or a CMS that supports collaborative authorship of articles.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:35 PM

ye im looking for a very simple wiki kind of script. GARS and GAL will do the trick the only problem i have is its setup . I need every edit of the 1st post in a thread to be submitted for moderation
As well as this i need to
only allow any member to edit the 1st post in a thread

if i can overcome this in some way GARS and GAL would be perfect..