The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-19-2006, 11:19 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Change database storage location?

Is it possible to have GARS save the articles in a seperate table in the database? The reason I am asking is, I am currently in the process of switching from phpBB to vBulletin. I am trying to get all of the content up on the site prior to the switch over to vBulletin, but with the GARS content being stored in the '_posts' table of the database, I have a feeling the import of the current site threads isn't going to go smoothly. I basically don't want to create all of the articles then import the phpBB threads and overwrite everything or mess up the links to anything.

Thanks for any input or ideas.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:41 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hey there,

It isnt possible I'm afraid

Best of luck and give me a shout if I can help. I remember upgrading from phpBB to vB. It wasnt too bad though
Old 05-20-2006, 03:54 PM

Well, we did a test import just to see how it would work. So we're starting out with ~74,000 posts. It will probably take about a month to get the vB site ready for launch, so I'm expecting close to 2000 more posts between now and then. So I'm just not sure if we tried another import how exactly it would work. Perhaps I could enter a couple of articles and then do the import and see how it works...
Old 05-20-2006, 04:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

maybe put the articles in a hidden phpBB forum, then import them into a vB GARRED forum?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:55 AM

I decided to just try importing again since I had 1-2 articles written. It appears to have worked without any issues. Since the thread table in the database still had the imported sections to show which threads were imported and which were original, it just cleared the imported ones and re-imported them. It imports starting with the most recent thread number, so the first thread starts at around 16,500 but as long as it works, I could care less how it is numbered.