The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Is there a way or module to add additional fields?

I have some requirements I'd like to give readers to HAVE to add before putting in a article or review...is there an option to create such a field on the posting screen? Something like how vb has the creating user profiles fields... i cant find how to create new posting fields. Is it even there?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:50 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

In 2.0 there are custom fields that you can use. Otherwise youll need to make a module which is a bit more difficult.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

(since these are really similar topics)

Geek, I'm sure you're gonna crucify me for asking a moronic question like this, but...

To insert the custom fields into the article itself, do I have to create a module or am I overthinking this? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:59 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Nope, just create a custom field, edit the type you want to assign the custom field to, tick the custom field you want to assign it to and viola!

However to display it, you will either want a custom module, to edit your template or (the easy way), just add the custom fields module to your module set.

Hths
Old 05-15-2006, 07:05 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Hmmm....

Which way would you recommend if I want to use the 3 custom fields (they're URLs) to display the following:

MP3 Version
iTunes Enhanced
Shownotes

And then use the MP3 field to put the URL into the HTML code for a flash button player? Sorry for the barrage of questions !
Old 05-15-2006, 07:20 PM

Use the snipped URL custom field (create 3).
Edit the type that will use them and tick the boxes
Make sure your CustomFields module is registered
Edit your types module set and add the CustomFields module to it (where you want)
Edit the settings of the customfields manager
Tick the custom fields you want to display

Should work fine from there
Old 05-15-2006, 07:33 PM

The Geek = My Savior!

I'm doing everything now, but one thing I just noticed is that you can't (at least, it won't for me) delete the custom fields once you make 'em. It says "gars deleted" but it still shows up so I decided to go back into the page, and it STILL shows up . I'll throw it into the depths of the bug tracker in a little bit .

Thanks though!

==Edit==
I made them text (BBCode Parse), and let 'er rip. You can see here. Now all I've got to do is clean everything up etc. and get that player on the showthread. Thanks again!

Last edited by Bluestrike2; 05-15-2006 at 07:56 PM..
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 PM

to remove it - just remove untick from the custom fields module and type.

You may also want to admincp->gars->tools->clean cache.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

So there really isnt an easy all in one ability to do this until the 2.0 version huh. How stable is the Beta?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 AM

The beta is pretty stable for a beta

You can easily add custom fields via modules - however it requires some PHP knowledge.