The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-17-2006, 02:14 AM

Lightbulb Is GARS missing an Article Listing component ?

I'd like to see GARS list the articles in a section so I can quickly see what article I might want to read.

Case in point,

Here is a GARS articles section.
http://www.tech-unity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Issue #1: There are 14 larger article sections. Sure the icons are pretty but I have to skim over 4 pages (hit page down 3x) to see all the sections ? That doesn't seem that convenient.

OK. Let's click on "Windows Management"

So .. to find the article titles I need to move down 8 screens in total then hit next page and then move down 5 screens ?

All that to find the potential articles to read ?

Not convenient.

On this sample site the right column says "Articles". The title implies it is all the articles, but it is not. Maybe it should be renamed "Some Articles". This site seems to have two almost identical "Top Articles" sections, not sure why.

A better place for a "Top Articles" placement would be on the main page somewhere under the "Windows Management" title.

JMO.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:35 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisjem
So .. to find the article titles I need to move down 8 screens in total then hit next page and then move down 5 screens ?

All that to find the potential articles to read ?
What about using the search function like all other clever people?

Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

I too would like to see a nice articlelisting front end with a bunch of options like article categories, list by date, etc etc, I can probably get what I need by editing the templates though.
Floridas #1 Automotive Community

http://www.tampaforums.com
Tampa's #1 Place for Shennanigans

http://www.eq2raiders.com
All your EQ2 Raiding discussion and Info.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Some of that, the admin has done (ie the big default image for the sub forums). By default, it doesnt display like that.
You can sort by date, etc... by using the forum tools, and I am inclined to think that they are not using the latest version of all modules and files (hence the lack of Latest Articles where it now says Articles).

Im game for any ideas to improve the interface, doing it through modules isnt too hard. Maybe an entry point page (essentially a portal page) would be a nice addition maybe (could use the GAZ system as an example)
Old 01-17-2006, 11:05 PM

Thumbs down search not acceptable for MANY reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluerken
Of course, this is not acceptable for MANY reasons.

(1) the search would search entire articles, not just topics.
(2) many people reading articles sections are not looking for something in particular (a requirement for search) but are merely "browsing".
(3) an article listing is what people are looking for.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluerken
The problem is, sometime you don't know the specific keywords to search for.

OT: That's the only thing I don't like about Gmail. More than once I wanted to read an email several months ago. Since I know what it is but don't remember it specifically or who send it, I have to browse through much of my inbox. My Gmail inbox contains both English and non English languages so it's that much more difficult.

Same thing can apply here though.

For an article library of 10 - 20 articles, then going through the whole list isn't too bad, and you probably remember much of the content so the search is moot anyway. But if an article library contains at least several hundred entries, it can be quite a task.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Im game for any ideas to improve the interface, doing it through modules isnt too hard. Maybe an entry point page (essentially a portal page) would be a nice addition maybe (could use the GAZ system as an example)
I have several ideas I'd like to add.

- Why not add at least two extra alphabets. One uses to list articles by title, the other lists by authors, etc. Click on "A" will have all the articles titles started with "A". It elimates some problems while orgainizing a very large collections of articles easier.

- If the default setting is 30 articles a page, and the "A" list contains, say, 200 articles. Then at the bottom you have an option to click to the next page AND the list of total pages. Just like how vB works with the number of threads and posts exceed the default setting.

- If an article/tuturials (such as Chapter 7 in the GARS User Manual) spans multitple sections, you can use the [chapter=title_of_next_section] code to name the said section anyway you like. However, the default of the very first section is either "Introduction" for articles, or "Page 1" for reviews. Instead of default, the admin has the ability to set his/her own to whatever he/she feels desired like the rest of the pages.

- Instead of use [break=name_of_whatever] bbcode, you can also have the ability to insert every page separately. This should make things a bit easier for those tutorials or reviews (like some hardware reviews sites) to insert materials. For something that's short, using the bbcode method is very, very efficient. Inserting page by page basis is much easier to edit if you happen to have an extremely long article.

- Edit page by page basis. It would be much easier and shorter than try to sort through the entire document.

- PHP has a function to create .pdf documents on the fly. Admins are able to turn on/off this option.

- Ability to add some kind of short video/audio clips

That's all I have for now

Last edited by VietLang; 01-18-2006 at 05:55 AM..
Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Why not add at least two extra alphabets. One uses to list articles by title, the other lists by authors, etc. Click on "A" will have all the articles titles started with "A". It elimates some problems while orgainizing a very large collections of articles easier.
I don't like this idea at all. It will add more queries and a lot of more stuff. Instead of this there are plenty good ideas which can be implented to gars.

Quote:
If the default setting is 30 articles a page, and the "A" list contains, say, 200 articles. Then at the bottom you have an option to click to the next page AND the list of total pages. Just like how vB works with the number of threads and posts exceed the default setting.
You already can override vBulletin settings. In your type settings there is an option how many threads you want on 1 page.

Quote:
If an article/tuturials (such as Chapter 7 in the GARS User Manual) spans multitple sections, you can use the [chapter=title_of_next_section] code to name the said section anyway you like. However, the default of the very first section is either "Introduction" for articles, or "Page 1" for reviews. Instead of default, the admin has the ability to set his/her own to whatever he/she feels desired like the rest of the pages.
This is already done also. When you add Table of content module you can customize the first page name.

Quote:
Instead of use [break=name_of_whatever] bbcode, you can also have the ability to insert every page separately. This should make things a bit easier for those tutorials or reviews (like some hardware reviews sites) to insert materials. For something that's short, using the bbcode method is very, very efficient. Inserting page by page basis is much easier to edit if you happen to have an extremely long article.

Edit page by page basis. It would be much easier and shorter than try to sort through the entire document.
I love the break code feature but editing each page one by one maybe a good option but in that case i believe it will need a lot of modification and require bunch of queries. Right now you can switch a forum from gars to original vbulletin way. If something like this will be implemented then this option will dissapear which i never want to happen.

I believe you are missing the most important part of Gars. Gars has 100% integration with vBulletin and very easy usage.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King
I don't like this idea at all. It will add more queries and a lot of more stuff. Instead of this there are plenty good ideas which can be implented to gars.
I was thinking of full blown features for gars. You're right, it will add extra queries. But it's not the number of queries you have, it's how those queries are run. Just look at the comparison between phpBB and vB. phpBB only has 30 tables compare to 95 for vB 3.5.xx, but vB runs as fast as phpBB IMHO. Yes, it's a bit more resource intensive, but not much however.

Quote:
You already can override vBulletin settings. In your type settings there is an option how many threads you want on 1 page.
It still does not address the issue of having many, many articles. You can set it 100 articles/page or more if you want, but this is where resource intensive, slow loading come in to play. You can increase the number you want, but at some point you'll still need to make the cut.

Quote:
I love the break code feature but editing each page one by one maybe a good option but in that case i believe it will need a lot of modification and require bunch of queries. Right now you can switch a forum from gars to original vbulletin way. If something like this will be implemented then this option will dissapear which i never want to happen.
Make no mistake, I love the break code, too. I believe your usage of gars is very different from mine. I do not suggest taking it away, but rather, have more than one way of doing it, depends on the needs. Sometimes using the break code is extremely fast, but others, doing one by one can be easier. If Geek can find a way to code that you can use both at the same time, then it would be much more powerful.

I believe the extra queries part, correct me if I am wrong, only comes into play when submit page by page rather then using the break code. This shouldn't matter much if only the admin and/or moderators are the only who are able to add them, which the way it should be anyway. Now, if you have over a hundred people do it at the same time, then yes, it will probably crash a weak server. But then again, it really depends on how the codes are implemented.

Quote:
I believe you are missing the most important part of Gars. Gars has 100% integration with vBulletin and very easy usage.
Actually, this is the primary reason why I want to use Gars to turn a large portion of my forum into a litterature section. This is also why many of my suggestions are leaned toward this because I have specific need for it. As you can imagine, inserting the "Two City of God" or even the Bible using the break code isn't the best IMHO.

Good discussion
Old 01-21-2006, 07:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Some of that, the admin has done (ie the big default image for the sub forums). By default, it doesnt display like that.
You can sort by date, etc... by using the forum tools, and I am inclined to think that they are not using the latest version of all modules and files (hence the lack of Latest Articles where it now says Articles).

Correct, I am using a hack to change the forum icon

also, I have not updated to the latest version yet
I have that scheduled to do this weekend

I am using vbadvanced and the News module to act as a portal
http://www.tech-unity.com/Articles.php
I still need to add a module for Catagories that I also plan on doing this weekend, but.
I would like to have modules for Latest and Hot Articles, that would be awesome