The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-13-2006, 12:45 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Two sets of rotaing ads?

Boy am I confused. I am also sorry to keep making so many posts here. But I was able to get everything working so far until now.

I am trying to create a separate set of ads to be used in my cmps in a module. I am able to get my rotating banner ads working in the header. I am also able to make these ads work in a cmps module. But I am trying to create a separate set of ads in my CMPS module. Can you use two separate sets of rotating ads with this hack? If this can be done this would be the icing on the cake.

I can supply a link and access to my test site if someone is willing to look at it and tell me what I am doing wrong.

Could someone please help me?

On another note I have the following problem below. But can live without adding categories for unless that is needed to get the above working.

I also noticed that it will not let me add any new categories in the GAB Manager. When I do the name does not appear and is left blank and the display order is always 0.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:54 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

After looking through this for a long time, I think it looks like it is possible to have two different sets of rotating ads. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I saw nothing in the documentation saying you couldn’t but everything thing leading me to think you could.

Here is what I did.

1. I created 7 banners in the ADMINCP GAB Manager Banners
Five of the banners I put in the “Header Banners” category and the remaining two I put in the category “Other”.

2. ADMINCP GAB Manager Ad Blocks
Created a new Ad Block called “Sponsors”
Title = Sponsors
Wrapper = Off
Method = Randomly select 1 ad from the block
Ad 1
Type of Ad =Images
Number of ads = 1
Category= Select Categories, and I selected the category “Other”

3. ADMINCP GAB Manager Scripts
Edited MASTER to this:
$GAB_ads[0] = Default (Note the default is set to “Headers Banners” in Ad Blocks)
$GAB_ads[1] = Sponsors (Note the sponsors is set to “Others” in Ad Blocks)
and saved it.

I put the $GAB_ads[0] in my header template thinking that it would only display the banners I have set to the category “Header Banners”.

And

I put $GAB_ads[1] in my cmps module thinking that is would only display the banners I have set to the category “Others”.

But

It displays all the banners I created in every category. By the way I understand it, it should be using the two different script files I set up but it does not seem to work that way and the way.

Am I understanding all this wrong or is this just impossible to do?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Ill run some test and try to duplicate what you are doing, but it does look right.
It may be because you have $GAB_ads[0] and $GAB_ads[1] in your page. What I would do is set your adv_index script to NOT use the master. Then set its GAB_ads[0] to be the sponsor (or whatever) category.

HTH's
Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Ill run some test and try to duplicate what you are doing, but it does look right.
It may be because you have $GAB_ads[0] and $GAB_ads[1] in your page. What I would do is set your adv_index script to NOT use the master. Then set its GAB_ads[0] to be the sponsor (or whatever) category.

HTH's
I have tried every variation I could think of and the one you mentioned. I am out of ideas. Like I said this is on my test site for the time being. I can send you the username and password so you can log in as admin and play with it. Just shoot me a PM and I will send the info to you if you would like.

I really like the possibilities this has. I can not wait to get it working to put on my active site.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:31 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey there,

I am having the same issue. I have two 120 x 600 banners (one is an image & one is adsense) when I tell the billboard to allow the adsense and the image for the sky it will put the sky in the header Gab Ads...help!
Old 03-11-2006, 07:21 AM

I don't know what version of GAB your running but I had RC1 when this problem first accured for me. I unistalled RC1 and installed RC2 and the problem went away. But I had to completely unistalled RC1 first.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:19 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by attroll
I don't know what version of GAB your running but I had RC1 when this problem first accured for me. I unistalled RC1 and installed RC2 and the problem went away. But I had to completely unistalled RC1 first.
Thanks for the info! I am on the latest and greatest and did unistall before using RC3. I am puzzled and retrace my steps for 3 hours last night to ensure I wasn't messing anything up.

Thank you,

Michael
Old 03-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey Micheal, Im not sure if im following you 100%

Can you post a debug and explain what you are trying to do.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:30 PM

Done. http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=1259
Old 03-12-2006, 03:58 PM

First off, I dont think you are using the latest package. I would suspect that you imported the latest product.xml, (thus resulting in the GAB_listing error) however that debug output layout is the old version.

Can you double check and replace all physical files, check the problem again and repost the debug?

Thanks!