The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Setting Up New Banners

Hello,

Finally figured out how to get the system working. However, I now want to add a different set of banners to the postbit templates and what not. I have tried and tried, eating cake, tried, had a cup of tea then coffee, tried, smacked my face several times, tried, played america's army for an hour, and tried again.

I still can't figure it out, please assist me otherwise I may decide to borrow my neighbours shovel and dig a hole for fun.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hi Neal,

Can you explain a little more what you're trying to do? Do you want a banner in EVERY postbit?
If you want a banner to appear in the postbit template, you MAY need to do a plugin just to make the $GAB_ads variable global as the postbit template is assembled in a function.

Let me know and ill see if I can throw together an example.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Basically, i've installed a mod to show a random add in the postbit. Now I tried adding the $GAB_HELPME variable and what not but it just didn't work, it didn't even work with the variable used on my navbar on www.burnleyweb.com come to think of it!

I have a few affiliate programs, and I want different ones to show on different areas of the site. I thought just by adding a new $GAB_ variable would work...
Old 04-11-2006, 09:56 AM

I have my different affiliates under different categories too by the way, such as Tradedoubler, CJ, Google, etc...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:11 AM

Any idea on the time scale for this, really puzzling me
Old 04-16-2006, 07:53 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

$GAB_HELPME or $GAB_variable won't work. Its got to be $GAB_ads[x] where x is the number assigned in the script page.
In other words, go to your admincp-> gab ->scripts->master script and you will see a list of $GAB_ads[0] to $GAB_ads[9] if one of those has a value set (lets say $GAB_ads[1]) then that is the value you use in your template.

If you are trying to get an ad in the actual postbit, you will need to use a hook to globalize $GAB_ads as postbits are created in a function so the variable isnt availible.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 AM

I'm lost here, how can I add a different banner set in the footer of my forums. All my adds and affiliates are at present showing under my navbar, but I would like to have half at the top and half at the bottom (CJ navbar and Tradedoubler footer for example)
Old 05-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Create a new billboard, edit your MASTER script, then assign the billboard to a $GAB_ads[x] variable in your MASTER script.
Then all you have to do is add that $GAB_ads[x] variable to one of your templates (in this case the footer).

HTHs
Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 PM

ah har, thankyou. All working now.