The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Thumbs up Awesome product

Hi there,

I would like to greet you in the first place for such an awesome product. I've been looking around the site & I've tested few features of the article system. My impression so far is that it's obviously a well-written & desgined system, fully featured & customizable to one's own imagination.

I'm running a forum for serious political/social discussions & debates. I was searching for a powerful yet stable article system that lets me publish targeted content in the form of articles. & I can say after my tweaking here that it is very suitable for my needs so far so good.

However, & before I decide to buy this product, I have few questions which I hope you appreciately take the time to look at:
  • On my forum, I use the Legacy Postbit template for showing threads. Does GARS work fine with it, or is it just designed to work only on the Postbit template?
  • My main use of this product - If I bought it - will be publishing articles by politicians & journalists. They may or may not be registered members. Does GARS contain a feature to deal with articles submitted by e-mail, by setting GARS Control Panel to automatically publish articles that match specified criteria?
  • I think this is a small issue, yet it's important. Can the system have an option to hide the username from the article's postbit? I can see options to hide the 'Byline' & 'Synopsis' but not the 'Username'.
  • How GARS is functioning in regard of server performance & query exceution? Does it cause high server loads?
  • How easily is it intergrating with vBullein? In particular, on the database level, does backing up the forum backs up GARS articles as well?
  • Does the system fully phrased?
  • Our forum is RTL. How well GARS is supporting RTL layouts?
Thanks in advance,
simsim

Last edited by simsim; 02-12-2006 at 06:38 AM..
Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hi There,

Thanks for the kind words.

1- It uses neither of vb's postbits by default, however you can customise the postbits it uses, create new ones per type and/or use vB's default templates.
2- Publishing an article is basically the same as posting a thread in vB. Yes, you can allow guests to post articles, but its not generally done. You can however Post as another user or create a gars custom mod that would give you more flexibility with how a username/author is published.
3- There isnt an option to hide the publisher, however thats pretty easy to do just by editing the template
4- It functions fine, however you should note that the more modules you use and the larger the articles, the more you will start to impact performance.
5- It not only integrates seamlessly into vB, it requires it 100%. It is probably the largest, most integrated add on for vb.
6- Yes its fully phrased and it contains a special phrasing system that actually generates more phrases and phrasegroups for you when you create new and different terms.
7- I haven't tried it yet, however I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem as all of that sort of thing is handled via vB.

Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2006, 04:29 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Thanks for the response. It helps a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
4- It functions fine, however you should note that the more modules you use and the larger the articles, the more you will start to impact performance.
You mean GARS modules? Well, since you said a gars's article is just a vB thread, how it would differ in performance than a normal thread? At which point it will start to impact performance?

simsim
Old 02-12-2006, 04:33 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Mainly based on size and modules (yes, GARS modules).

Each module will carry with it extra logic and most likely extra queries.
Really long articles take longer to parse for page breaks and generally increase overhead regardless of whether its a long post or long article (one and the same here).
Aside from that, there is still extra processing that GARS does on top of vB, however overall its not overly noticeable.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:43 PM

Well, if we are to take this forum as a measure, I don't notice any unusual slow on the gars-featured forums. In particular, the Manual forum is just fine & pages load as fast as on other forums. The articles we're publishing are average in size (25000 words at maximum), but I'm also planning to publsih chapters from certain sponsored books, can the system deal with this?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:47 PM

I would start to caution you on larger articles just because there is a larger overhead to parse the contents. Saying that, you are best taking a couple and posting them here to see your self.

HTHs