The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Member's ratings won't save when posting a comment.

Howdy Geek (et. al.),

I'm trying to set up my review system, and it's all going fairly smoothly save for one problem. When I try to submit a comment, and then set the various ratings, the comment will post just fine, but the ratings won't save. If I then go to edit that post, all the ratings are set at zero. I can try changing them a million times, and they won't save. Oddly enough, if I click the "I want to rate it!" link in the Members' ratings box, I can then rate the product, and that rating will 'save', and show up in the post.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much,

-Nick
Old 02-09-2006, 01:08 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Are you working on a modified style? If so, can you test on a default style?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Are you working on a modified style? If so, can you test on a default style?
TG,

It's a default style.

-Nick
Old 02-10-2006, 01:21 AM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Mines the default style too, tons of problems with gars. Ratings dont work - period. Worked once, now dead.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:10 AM

TG,

Another thing I noticed. Not only will the comment button not add members' ratings, if a member adds a rating by clicking the "I want to rate it!" link (which works fine), and then posts a comment (or does it in the opposite order), if they then try to edit their post, and change the way they voted, that doesn't save the results either.

Lastly, in posts, the width of the right column is not fixed, where would I change this?

(If you want me to send you a link or any other information, let me know or PM me, and I'll gladly do so).

Other than the quirk with members' reviews, and the column width thing, everything is working great!

Thanks much,

-Nick
Old 02-10-2006, 03:22 AM

to further comment on this issue,

i require my members to submit articles on a non-gars forum. i edit the articles and transfer them to a gars forum. not sure if this affects the ratings in any way, but here is how the process goes:

edit article (non-gars) -> transfer (gars) -> comment -> rate -> rating not turning up.

checked gars table using threadid. search turns up nothing.

edit article again (gars) -> no link to rate.

thread turns up in gars table in my search this time. but the "avg_rating_data" column is empty, and the userid becomes mine (simply because i edited the post). have to change both just to see the rating.

gripe: this is getting very frustrating. i managed to replicate the error twice, so i am pretty sure it will keep happening.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

cmiller: Tested yours today and works fine as far as I can see.
Beer- If there is any way you can PM me an admincp url and account Ill check into it for you
jIRQuest. Hmmm. Interesting. I suppose that it wouldn't work because there will not be an entry point into the GARS table for the thread. Maybe I need to try and hook into thread moves too
There is a current issue where editing the thread does put your userid in as owner which is what is preventing you from rating. Can you try to edit it and use the post as feature to enter the original authors name? THis bug is in the current fix list and will be resolved shortly.

On a side note, can I ask why you just dont set those forums to be moderated? Seems like it would be easier?

Thanks guys
Old 02-11-2006, 01:10 AM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Tested again myself today and its not working. Make sure your usergroup is "Distributor" on my forum. That might have something to do with it. A bulk of my members are in that group.

Thanks! I really like these scripts.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 AM

it wouldn't be usergroup specific. I suspect the reviews were created and saved when no review was attached or something similar. Choosing edit then save sorted it out
Old 02-11-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Beer- If there is any way you can PM me an admincp url and account Ill check into it for you
jIRQuest. Hmmm. Interesting. I suppose that it wouldn't work because there will not be an entry point into the GARS table for the thread. Maybe I need to try and hook into thread moves too
There is a current issue where editing the thread does put your userid in as owner which is what is preventing you from rating. Can you try to edit it and use the post as feature to enter the original authors name? THis bug is in the current fix list and will be resolved shortly.

On a side note, can I ask why you just dont set those forums to be moderated? Seems like it would be easier?

Thanks guys
yeah. i recognised that after doing some thinking about why it isnt searchable from the gars table. cant exactly say it's a bug since it was never programmed in; and since there was never an entry point, rating it is like walking into a swimming pool with no water :P

anyway, i tried what u suggested. it doesnt work.

the reason why i dont set that forum to moderation is because, a lot of members on my site are not tech savvy. they end up wondering what happened to the thread, and why it isnt visible to them. saves me time explaining, and not writing it into the faq, which a lot of people never read anyway.