The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Lightbulb Feature request: future publish date

We're planning to use GARS for our upcoming news & tutorials section.

Sometimes we receive news which have an embargo on it, meaning that a pressrelease cannot be made public before a certain date. Instead of having to wait before that specific date until we can post it, it would be nice if we could enter the pressrelease already in the system, and set a date where it should be made public automagicly .

Same goes sort of for tutorials/reviews. Most of our tutorials require a lot of work to put together. Right now there's only an option to post a tutorial immediatly, it would be nice to have a "publish now/later/unfished/on specific date " option, so work in progress cannot be seen by the normal members/visitors, but only by moderators or people with certain privileges.

Unless I'm missing something in the latest GARS release, the above feature request would make a lot news publishers / tutorial writers happy

Is this possbible at all? Can it maybe done by hacks? At the end, I think it's a nice addition to the current feature set.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

It would be a nice feature, however it would require hacking for setting the date (there is one at .org IIRC), but then you would need additional settings to prevent it from being displayed before a specific time period. This is potentially dooable and I will look into this as a feature in the future.

HTHs
Old 05-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Has any more thought been put into adding this feature?

The types of tutorials my members are going to be adding are highly technical and require a significant amount of time to complete. Obviously they cannot write their tutorial(s) in one sitting, so it'd be nice if they could either set a "publish date" or at the very least, be able to have the option of not making their tutorial public until they are finished writing it.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeps78 View Post
Has any more thought been put into adding this feature?

or at the very least, be able to have the option of not making their tutorial public until they are finished writing it.
Yuo can always have a password-protected forum where the tutorials are written. When ready to launch, move to another forum without password
Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 PM

not really a feasible idea, but thanks. That would only work if there are a couple of people doing tutorials. If you have all of your members writing tutorials, it makes no sense to give them all the password to get into a forum that has semi-written tutorials. Unless of course I'm misunderstanding you...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

While it is "potentially doable" there is a larger consideration in that messing with the dates that vB records things such as first post, subsequent post, edit time, etcetera, could potentially be a problem, for example, two posts where the first post is dated later than the second post. Instead, what I would recommend is a hidden forum where only your writers have access, and for that forum you could set forum permissions where writers who have access to that forum can read only their own threads, edit only their own posts, and move only their own threads to the proper forum when they are ready to be published.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 PM

We definitely want to stay far away from messing with the way vb records things; there's too much potential for bugs to be introduced as you pointed out.

The thing about having the hidden forum though, is that all of my users will have access to writing tutorials. I want my tutorials section community driven in the sense that everyone will help each other out with polishing their tutorials. If I set it up so that members have to email me to get permissions to write tutorials, it just turns into a mess.

How about this. Instead of having a "future publish date" then, how easy would it be to simply have a publish checkbox in each tutorial? That way, the user themselves would have control on whether or not to publish their tutorial.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator

A future publish date doesn't make sense to me, as it's still a change in date. IIRC there are a couple of mods on vBorg that let you change post date, but as soon as the post has replies, things get more complicated. You do not need to password protect the hidden forum, so your users would not need to email you to have access to that forum. You could set up the hidden forum based on usergroups, but if all your users have access to writing tutorials, I guess I'm missing what you are trying to set up. It sounds like you want a forum where your registered members can work on tutorials and get feedback, and then when the tutorials are done, you want another guest accessible forum to hold a copy of the finished tutorials. If so, you could set a hidden forum where only registered members have access, and if/when those members are really to publish, they could post in the other open tutorials forum. Maybe I'm confused, but I'm not sure what a future publish date nets you, especially if your members won't know when they'll be done with their tutorials.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams