The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-09-2005, 11:31 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default $GAB_ads[X] will show images controlled by the Master Script ...

This is the way GAB is currently working for me:

$GAB_ads[X] will show images controlled by the Master Script [0] ...

Where X = 0 is the Master Script

==========================================

I have Master Script configured to show Standard banner
I have Master Script set to show number of ads = 5.
I have ShowThread set [ticked] to use Master Script.
[even though it shouldn't matter, I have ShowThread also set to show 5 ads].
I have Category Images-Tracking set to use all scripts and active for all forums.
I have 5 ads uploaded and configured to use Images-Tracking

I have $GAB_ads[0] in a template ...

It will currently only display *1* ad randomnly pulled from those five available ads.

I have tried to specifiy $GAB_ads[X] ... where X is anything other than "0" such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... but anything other than zero will not display any ads ...

I need to be able to specify 1 - 468x60 header banner .
I need to be able to specify 5 - 125x125 left column banners.
I need to be able to specify 1 - 468x60 footer banner .

Before I mess up the nice relatively clean default configurations ... I need pointed in the right direction ...

Greg

Last edited by greg watson; 12-09-2005 at 11:38 PM..
Old 12-11-2005, 01:40 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Greg,

Here is a quick and dirty procedures you can try..

Under you Scripts settings, click on MASTER script and scroll down till you see "New AD Block", click on that and after the new Ad block appears under the default one.. ajust it's settings, then go to the template you want and add $GAB_ads[0] variable for the default and $GAB_ads[1] for the one you just created. Just add more as needed, just remember to increase X on $GAB_ads[X] as you ad new ad blocks.

That should do it!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:33 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldtn
Greg,

Here is a quick and dirty procedures you can try..

Under you Scripts settings, click on MASTER script and scroll down till you see "New AD Block", click on that and after the new Ad block appears under the default one.. ajust it's settings, then go to the template you want and add $GAB_ads[0] variable for the default and $GAB_ads[1] for the one you just created. Just add more as needed, just remember to increase X on $GAB_ads[X] as you ad new ad blocks.

That should do it!
That is exactly what I did *before* I posted the message above <grin> ... doesn't work <grin> ...

The Number of Ads function does not work ... you can put 5 in there and the most that it will display is 1 ...

There is also this mild problem of not being able to specify which category of ads $GAB_ads[0] will pull from ...

Let's walk through a very specific example:

First ... let's divide a page into three ad blocks ... in theory, we should be able to create these three ad blocks under the Master Script.

##### Ad Block - Header #####
So ... let's have ad block 0 be a header banner and let's assume that Banner #1 is a static 468x60 banner that needs to be displayed at the top of the page. Thus we insert $GAB_ads[0] into the header template ...

We only want one banner to display is this particular position, so the master script block 0 is created as a static banner with number of ads set to 1.

##### Ad Block - Left Column #####
Now ... let's have ad block 1 be a left column block of five banner ads and let's assume that Banner #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6 are 125x125 banners that need to be displayed in the left column of the page. Thus we insert $GAB_ads[1] into the left column template ...

We want five banners to display in this particular position, so the master script block 1 is created as a static banner with the number of ads set to 5.

##### Ad Block - Footer #####
Now ... let's have ad block 2 be a footer block of 1 banner and let's assume that Banner #7, #8, and #9 are 468 x 60 banners that need to be displayed in the footer of the page on a rotating basis. Thus we insert $GAB_ads[2] into the footer template ...

We want these three banners to display in this particular position in a rotating manner, so the baster script block 2 is created as a rotating banner with the number of ads set to 1.

#####################################

Logical ...

Now ... let's take a look at what actually happens ...

Master Script Block 0 (i.e. Header Block)
In the position for $GAB_ads0[0] ... what ad gets displayed? GAB randomnly pulls any one of the banners and randomnly displays the banner (i.e. it randomnly displays Banner #1, or Banner #2, or Banner #3, or Banner #4, or Banner #5, or Banner #6, or Banner #7, or Banner #8) ...

We need the ability to specify what category a master script block can pull from or the concept of the ad block is useless ... there is currently no way to specify what banners will appear in master script block 0 ... since master script block 0 needs to display a 468 x 60 banner , it really does not work to have it randomnly pulling banners from all categories and all sizes ...

Master Script Block 1 (i.e. Left Column Block)
In the position for $GAB_ads[1] ... what ads get displayed? Well GAB is configured to display five ads, but it in fact only will display 1 ad. Now ... which ad will it display? It will randomnly display any of the banners (i.e. #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8) ... if you put a 468x60 ad in a left column that is designed to only have 125x125 ads ... it does not work very well <Grin>!!!!

So ... we have two problems here ... first, the Number of Ads displayed does not work, and we can not have it randomnly pulling adds from inappropriate categories ...

Master Script Block 2 (i.e. Footer Block)
In the position for $GAB_ads[2] ... what ad gets displayed? Well GAB is configure dto display 1 ad on a randomn basis ... which is exactly what it does. However, again ... there is no way for us to specify which ad gets displayed ... so when it is supposed to only be displaying a randomn 468x60 ad from a footer category, there is no way to specify what category of ads are getting displayed in this ad block ...

==============================================

All around ... it just will not work in its current version <grin> ...

The Category concept is probably the key concept here that is not yet implemented ... it will be absolutely essential to be able to limit what categories each ad block can pull ads from ...

If you add this one feature concept of setting what categories an ad block can use, you will give people the ability to customize what ads get displayed on what pages and in what blocks ...

This is critical from two points of view ... one is ad size and the other is ad subject and positioning ...

... and one this is working ... the next issue that will pop up will be people wanting the ability to display one banner ad in multiple categories <grin> ...

==============================================

Give the above scenario a quick test <grin> ...

1. Upload Banner #1 and try to get it to only display as a header banner ...

2. Upload Banners #2-5 and try to get them to only display as a single block of ads in a left column block ...

3. Upload Banners 6-8 and try to get them to only display in a footer banner location ...

<grin> ... regardless of the things like the Number of Ads function that just doesn't yet work <grin> ... the current design will not allow you to manage ads like in the above scenario ...

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-12-2005, 05:31 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Hmm.. I thought you couldn't get multiple ads to show up such as $GAB_ads_[0], $GAB_ads[1], and $GAB_ads[2].. but it seems you can from the scenerios you created above. So what you want to do is pull only certain banners in certain $GAB_ads[X] variables correct?

If so..

Well.. I'm not sure how the $GAB_ads variable sorts and pull the banners, but I would imaging that banners 1-5 and 6-8 will have to be added to different catergories and assigned it's own permissions thru the catergories editor functions. Which would MAYBE eliminate the 1-5 banners getting pulled in $GAB_ads[2] and 6-8 in $GAB_ads[0] .

I did not try what I said above cause I currently don't have the time.. but I would try playing with it that way to see what you get.. but I think you got a point here which cuts down the flexibility of the current GAB version.

Although I think there is a way around this with it's current version and to rub it in this is a beta release I would await on the expert AKA Geek to give us a proper response.

Good luck
Old 12-12-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
and to rub it in this is a beta release I would await on the expert AKA Geek to give us a proper response.
<grin>... I used to write the docs for a programmer back in the 80's which meant I was always part of the alpha testing team and the beta testing team ...

I'm lucky, that right now I have a website that isn't quite ready to launch - but one that will push the design limits and capabilities of GAB <grin> ...

And that is what you need in a beta testing environment <grin> ...

I haven't been able to contribute a lot to the technical nuances of GARS and GAL <grin> ... but when it comes to design that will make me money <grin> ... I can test those limits ...

My wife is already starting to pre-sell this site's advertising ... long term, I would love to see GAB be able to meet this site's requirements because I think the POWER in TheGeek's connected modules is quite significant ... if GAB can be multi zonned with just a few tweaks ... and if it can someday be integrated into GeekMart and GUSH ... we will have a very powerful advertising tool ...

Way too many of us rely on others to sell our advertising space ... the Geek combo should give a lot of us the capability/tools to effectively sell more of our space at a higher premium ...

And so I'm excited to be able to beta test this module ... and also excited to try to push its limits ... because if I push and can add that 1 degree of flexibility ... it will become far more profitable to many others <grin> ...

My thanks go out to TheGeek ... but also to the others who have contributed to GARS and GAL beta testing ... because I am on the receiving end of their work <grin> ...

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-12-2005, 06:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

It IS supposed to do what youre after - sadly it looks like I broke it when I was last tinkering with it :P

Sorry I havent been able to update this or GMart for the last week. Real Life has been a nutter since December reared its ugly head. I decided that top priority needed to be to crank GARS out and THEN spread some love to GAB and GeekMart . That way I dont have 3 part working projects to worry about.

Good new is that GARS seems to be coming round nicely. Im currently testing RC3 here on the site. After that, as long as no uglies pop up, it should go damn near GOLD this weekend at the latest (barring uglies that is!).

Then its nothing but love for gmart and gab

Thanks for your patience.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
It IS supposed to do what youre after - sadly it looks like I broke it when I was last tinkering with it :P
It really is almost there ... I think the "Number of Ads" function is broken and we need one more tie in to be able to limit a master script ad block to one or more categories ...

I think with that one addition ... the flexibility and power would be incredible.

And even though I didn't come across that way, I'm pushing the limits only because of what it CAN do ... which is incredibly wonderful!

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-12-2005, 06:24 PM

Thanks geek...

greg, the "Number of Ads" seem to work on my end

anyways, till it's next release
Old 12-12-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks geek...

greg, the "Number of Ads" seem to work on my end

anyways, till it's next release
Any chance you take a screenshot of the multiple ads and send it to me and a screenshot of your adblock on your master script control panel ... maybe its just one setting I have that is causing a conflict ...

I'm game to give just about anything a try <grin> ...

Thanks,
Greg