The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Modifying the review templates and changing image sizes

A few things we want to do with the reveiws template which you can see here: http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/4wm-reviews-hardware/

1) When viewing the list of reviews page is way too wide so ideally we want to kill off the 'Featured Reviews' and / or 'Latest 5 reviews' column. Is this possible?

2) When setting image sizes for header images this appears to be a global size, ideally we want a larger image on the review page but a smaller image in the list of reviews. Can this be achieved?

3) If a synopsis is not present the review list reads data in from thje main articel however this does not parse HTML correctly - is there any fix?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:07 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1- Yes, just edit the reviews module set
2- Yes, just edit the types settings
3- No, post it in the synopsis. You would more than likely break your layout automatically previewing HTML like that (or create massive amounts of overhead trying to parse through for broken tags on preview).

http://www.thevbgeek.com/geeki/index.php/Category:GARS

HTHs!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Right got the first - missed that lot first time through!

On the second does the size in Type control the image within the review and the global size the size in the reviews list?

One the third understood lots of editing to do!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The size in your settings is the global value which can be overridden in each type. So editing your types size settings will do what you are after
Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
The size in your settings is the global value which can be overridden in each type. So editing your types size settings will do what you are after
Yeah but that then changes both the threadbit and postbit sizes?

Ideally we'd want it larger in the postbit at the top of the review...

Last questions:

- Is there any way of reducing the text size in the 'Top X' boxes?
- Is there any way of sorting the reviews in reverse posting order so the newer reviews are at the top of the first page?
- On a typical review like we have the option on to show Custom Fields inside the header, but they are not displaying. Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:08 AM

Ok, I see what youre asking. With some slight tweaking you could acomplish this (primarily by creating a mod) however there isnt a default way to have 1 image for the postbit and one for the threadbit. They are both the same image.

To your other questions:
1- Template editing
2- Set the forums default sort to postdate
3- You need to add the custom field module to your module set and edit its settings to include the fields you want

HTHs!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:57 AM

Cheers for the reply...... I'll live with it for now to avoid the Modding As the others:

1) Any ideas which templates?
2) 'Thread Start Time' is what we wanted - sorted!
3) Got it now I'd missed the Edit of the module within the Module

Okay and to add a fourth:

4) As we're dealing with migrated posts here from the old PhpBBS system and as Admin I'm going in and adding the Synopsis and pictures it seems that my Ratings are being applied to some of the reviews. I've been asking the original authors of the reviews to go in and update the Ratings - but they are reporting that they are not bein saved. To get them to stick I'm having to go into the Admin/GARS/Tools option and edit the Ratings manually. Even then tehse do sometime not stick and I have to then edit via the Message editor. After 2-3 edits via each method they eventually stick.

Cheers
Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 AM

1- Hmm, for what you're trying to do there, it looks like you will want to edit geek/gars/mods/display/top.php (about line 88)
2- Edit your forums settings (via vB) and change the default sort to thread start time.

#4 sounds odd. Are you using the latest version? Are you using the 'post as' feature or are they already imported articles?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
1- Hmm, for what you're trying to do there, it looks like you will want to edit geek/gars/mods/display/top.php (about line 88)
2- Edit your forums settings (via vB) and change the default sort to thread start time.

#4 sounds odd. Are you using the latest version? Are you using the 'post as' feature or are they already imported articles?
1) Cheers noted
2) Yep working fine now
4) Latest version as of downloaded last weekend - and yes these are all imported posts from the prior system. All the Mod team have now tried to edit the reviews with the same lack of success. Settings are as per:

If one uses the tools option to go into a review one sees:

Which does not look right to me, as the original author was WaveyDavey... Yet my admin login 'Windows' appears first and seems to lock the ratings?

Others are even worse (author Irblinx):

Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 PM

hmmm, sounds like an old bug I thought I had fixed awhile ago. It could also be because there are no entry points in GARS for the articles which means it doesnt know who the author is. Try running the various tools to clean orphans and rebuild ratings to see if that sorts it.