The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Gars question

I have a need for GARS but in a bit of a different light. I understand GARS formats all posts within a specific forum of the admins choosing. As designed it works fabulously.

My situation is this. Is there a chance that Gars articles could be formatted on individual posts within a forum. For example:

We have a forum on Widgets and members discuss all different kinds of widgets in that forum. A site author writes an article or review about a specific widget. I would want that article/review to reside in the Widget forum.

An example is this site: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810525

Their reviews appear as threads although labeled as Review Articles. When you click on the link to enter the thread, the format is similar to GARS in a way. With the discussion taking place below the article.

Is this something that GARS can grow into or a MOD for VB or code that exists today to make this happen?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

It's not clear to me what you are asking, but here are a couple of GARS examples where there are multiple comments/posts. Page one of the thread shows the full article/release (first post) and subsequent pages in the thread show a portion of the first post with a 'click here to read the entire article/release' link:
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 PM

Sorry Morgan, I guess I wasnt clear as it is kind of hard to explain. Today GARS turns an entire forum (of choice) and formats each post into either Article/tutorial or Review. Each thread in the choosen or created forum has this format.

What I am looking for is to have the article "live among" other threads in the forum. It would appear just as any other post in the forum except it might be labeled "review" or "Article". When someone clicks to enter the thread, it is in the format of Review, Article Etc.

This is the way the site I linked above does it.

Here is a visual graphic As illustrated, you see the VB general forum and a thread among them labeled Review: Blue Widget by WG.inc. Desired result is if you click on that thread, you are presented with the GARS Review Format.

I hope that is a little clearer. Difficult to fully explain.

example.jpg
Old 02-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Do you mean the category column here: http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-flight-events-14/

If so, that looks like Mystics' Thread Prefixes modification: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123033
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 PM

Morgan,
I am failing miserably at explaining, but appreciate your patience. I am not speaking of the category Mod as I am aware of that one.

This is basically taking GARS articles and integrating them within the general forum instead of dedicated a forum to nothing but articles.

Using the other site as an example:

When browsing a specific forum (in this case Electric Events) you will see a page full of posts. However, one is titled "Arizona Electric Festival 2008 Article". It resides among normal threads.

When you click on the link. You are provided with an Article Formated Postbit (much like GARS).

articleopen.jpg

I am asking is it possible to integrate GARS within normal forums instead of having a forum dedicated to nothing but articles/reviews etc.

Much like if you wanted to write an article for GARS and have it display as a thread in this very forum among all of the questions being asked or threads started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg articlelink1.jpg (29.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mike parsons; 02-14-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM

I would love this too. Great idea. When we have separate sub-forums for articles, it is hard to channel traffic there. If it is among forums, then it drafts of the momentum the forum is having. Morgan, let us know if this is feasible. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Induslady View Post
I would love this too. Great idea. When we have separate sub-forums for articles, it is hard to channel traffic there. If it is among forums, then it drafts of the momentum the forum is having. Morgan, let us know if this is feasible. Thanks.
Agreed. Flows well too.

I am sure it can be done since GARS alters VB's Postbit, but it is beyond me how . It would certainly enhance this product beyond compare though.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Nope, GARS applies the format to all threads within a forum, though in theory I suppose you could modify the code to change the type so that it is only applied to various threads based on some prefix, but again that is just an untested theory. Not sure if anything like that would be available in the future.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the reply Morgan. I still think it is a wonderful product and worth the purchase. Ill have our coder take a look at it and if he can work up a plug-in to make it perform as I described, we'll go from lite to the paid version.