The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default If author doesn't rate (n/a), then nobody can rate?

Just installed things and set it up on our forums.

In testing it, though, I noticed that if the author doesn't rate any of the 5 questions (e.g., leaves it n/a), other members can't rate on anything other than what the author rated... does this make sense?

I'd like to pre-populate the ratings/reviews with a list of products, but don't want to rate them myself. Is there a way around this?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Not quite sure I understand. Are you using both the 'Author Rating' and 'User Ratings' modules?
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Yes, and using the default review module set.

See here:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=18175

The author only rated on one attribute, "Courteous & attentive attitude?
100%." The author left the other attributes (there are 4 others for this type of rating) n/a.

Now when users try and rate this dealer, they only get this one attribute they can rate on -- the other 4 do not display (whether they try and rate by the drop-down "Rate now," or by leaving a comment).
Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Grab the GARS package again and FTP the /geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php file, overwriting the file on the server, and then afterwards refresh this page and give it a whirl.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Thanks, that worked!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Sorry, I spoke too soon.

Although it appeared to work, when my members actually tried rating on the dealers listed, it apparently didn't save their ratings?

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthr...086#post167086

When someone tries to rate through the "Rate now" box, it replies back after they hit the submit button "There are no ratings to display."

If you leave a comment in a thread to rate, you can rate the dealer, but the ratings don't get saved (the comment does).

The type I used is a duplicate of the "Review Type." ... I had to create a new type so I could have one type of ratings/reviews show up in one forum, and another set show in a different forum. The Accessory reviews, using the original Review Type seem to be working fine... The two types, as far as I can see in the cp, are setup exactly the same.

Last edited by DocJohn; 03-25-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Okay, the problem I see is the same...

If the original author gives "n/a" for one of the attributes in ratings, then all users cannot rate on that attribute. Users can only rate on attributes originally rated on. I tested this by going in and changing the author ratings of one of the entries from all "n/a" to all 3's. Now other users can rate that dealer.

This seems like a bug, since I wouldn't expect the system not to allow users to rate on something just because for the original author that attribute didn't apply....
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 PM

Another problem found by my members is the "n/a" rating is being counted as a "zero" instead of truly "n/a."

For instance, we have a dealer rated by two members. Member 1 gives him all 5's on five attributes. Member 2 gives him 5's on two attributes, but leaves the other three attributes as "n/a".

The expected behavior would be that the three "n/a" simply aren't counted. Instead, they are being counted as zero's by the software. See this thread for the live example:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=18220
Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Grab the GARS package again and FTP the following files, overwriting the files on the server, and give it another whirl:
  • /forum/reviewrate.php
  • /forum/geek/gars/includes/gars_admin_ratings.php
  • /forum/geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php
  • /forum/geek/gars/includes/gars_class_page.php
Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Nope, sorry, that didn't work:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32
Closed Thread