The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default question about gars, impex, and vb3.7

Just a quick question really...

I'm holding off on upgrading my forums until 3.7 goes gold and I planned on running my 3.6.8 install through impex first to clear out all the legacy /abandon mods I've added over the years. This will obviously strip out my GARS installation.

Is there away that I can save that particular part of the database so once I've ran the 3.6.8 DB through impex, upgraded to 3.7, reinstall original GARS install so I don't lose any articles/reviews/links, then upgrade to 2.1.8m

Does this make sense? Is this possible? Thanks in advance if you're able to decipher my crazy plan and offer assistance!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenyank View Post
Just a quick question really...

I'm holding off on upgrading my forums until 3.7 goes gold and I planned on running my 3.6.8 install through impex first to clear out all the legacy/abandon mods I've added over the years. This will obviously strip out my GARS installation.
This will also kill all the old Threadid,Postid & Userids, and make new ones, be aware of it.
You can also have a "nice, clear" installation if you make a 3.7 directory, copy all the vb3.7 files into it, turn the pluginsystem in the config.php off and delete all the add-ons.
Then copy the config.php from the 3.6 into the 3.7 directory. Now you have a "nude" vbulletin installation with your "right/old" user,thread & postid's
OK maybe there will be some tables more but you keep all your relations.

www.ragtek.org
my blog

Last edited by ragtek; 01-02-2008 at 10:47 PM..
Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 PM

That is what I did for the 3 to 3.5 major upgrade but, here's the crux of the matter.

Initially I ran IPB, my database is a 4 year old vB database running off an impex IPB-to-vB install. In those 4 years, I've installed loads of mods/skins (both in IPB and in vB) and since vB3.7 is a major upgrade, I thought now might be the best time to 'trim the dead weight' as it were.

But, I didn't realise that it changed ids, I thought it just 'sucked' them across and stripped out any non-vB original schema... I may have to rethink this then... :conundrum:
Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 PM

Using Impex only to upgrade vbulletin is a non-sense thing. You will corrupt all your internal links, you will lost search engine ranks and you will have a lot of problems with GARS.

I'll try to explain...

The main problem is that every time you deleted a post, a thread, a user or a forum you generated a hole in the index-id column in the mysql tables. Impex will insert your old data rows in a new table with an unpredictable offset.

So the best thing is to follow ragtek's advice.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM

one more, very important thing:
MAKE ALWAYS DB BACKUPS before you make something like this?!!!

www.ragtek.org
my blog
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM

backups are for scaredy cats!

Thanks guys... with the knowledge that new ids are generated, I think I will indeed do what was suggested and just start with fresh core, but with a little 'dirty' database.

Thanks all.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 PM

you can invest some time and "clear" your db after your upgrade^^

www.ragtek.org
my blog