The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Compare Custom Fields in Articles?

I am using GARS and the custom fields to show product specifications. I'm wondering if anyone has taken a stab at building something to allow a user to select 2 or more article titles, and then have a comparison displayed in a grid, with each row being a custom field, and each column being a different article (or product in my case). The issues at hand would be:

- Selection of the articles to compare (think product comparison) - I'm planning to have a page that shows the products, so I guess I could use checkboxes for the user to select them... but a search of "all with custom field = x" would probably be also useful.

- Display of the comparison grid - this would be easier if the devices were rows and custom fields were columns... in that scenerio the whole thing is just a modified vBa CMPS / GARS add-on... but with the custom fields being rows it would be a little tougher.

Is this too much of a leap outside of the box for GARS, or is this something that might have value to be built into the product at some point in the future?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

cool idea, I would digg in if I could but im far too swamped

It is a bit of a leap outside of GARS functionality, but I will give it some thought for future development.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Cool... If I come up with anything I'll be sure to share.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM

I wonder if there is a way to do this with the forumview GARS stuff... you have a Filter option that would let me pick parameters to narrow the search "in theory", and then the trick would be to get the threads to show in columns instead of rows. Does this sound like a path that is worth my persuing?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The problem is the limitations of the filter module. It only lets you filter on 1 select custom field due to the fact that it is a form element sometimes inside another form element (i.e. inline moderation is on). I think going that route would be like forcing a square peg in a round hole