The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Yet Another GARS and vBA CMPS thread...

Sorry, but all of the other threads on the topic seem to just wander off into never-never land.

What I'd really like is a true, complete CMPS module for GARS.

The issue with all of the "just copy the news module" is that the news module is copyrighted code, and cannot be redistributed.

There are some modifcations to news, but then, you're displaying GARS articles *instead of* news.

Same with "Recent Threads".

What is really needed is a complete, GARS-specific, configurable CMPS add-on module. It should have its own templates, with different templates used based on position in CMPS. For example, left/right should be simple table-of-contents style listings of article titles, while center position should be closer to the way the news module looks.

I know this has been discussed, but never resolved.

Is it planned?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:17 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreer
The issue with all of the "just copy the news module" is that the news module is copyrighted code, and cannot be redistributed.
I don't understand this. When they say "copy" they mean just make a copy of the module, not the whole software package. This is definately allowed and recommended on the VBA site.

Also, a few people have gotten Goddard's module to work with GARS, it looks pretty nice once it works.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:58 AM

I understand what "copy" means. However, any module based on these modules cannot be redistributed. So, you wouldn't find them on vbulletin.org or vbhackers.com, or even here.

Also, such hacks don't provide the full scope of features that a true GARS module should have, in my opinion.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

no, you dont get it, tgreer. you can make a double version of the "news module" in your vBA settings. you never touch any code and essentially its just using the same code, twice.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:32 PM

I understand that perfectly. For an explanation of what I'm talking about, please re-read my posts in this thread.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:22 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
I understand that perfectly. For an explanation of what I'm talking about, please re-read my posts in this thread.
no, you dont seem to. you dont need to download any module from vb.org or otherwise, you just need to:

1. Log into your Admin Control panel
2. Click vbA CPMS
3. Click Edit Modules
4. Click your default news Module
5. In actions, select Copy.
6. you now have a second news module. edit this and select the forum (ie, GARS category) you wish to be displayed as a news module.
7. what you now need is a "simple table-of-contents style listings of article titles". is this static? if it is, its pretty simple to create one. if its dynamic, based on hits or last post or something. step 7 is to decide, do you want to have set articles in this list of contents? or do you want a dynamic one? there are downloadable add-ons from the vBa site that will allow you to select any forum and have its articles displayed like this, dynamically
8. create or install this module. for a static list, it is nothing more than a few lines of html links. for a dynamic module, download one from vBa's site and configure it to show articles from the specified forum(s) (category(s) as vBa calls them)
9. Do you want these on your home page? if so, configure it to show both these modules; however, im guessing you want these on a seperate vBa page. click Add Page from your vBa CMPS menu
10. Click Module
11. Configure your new page, with things like its name. You should also see check boxes for selecting which modules will appear on the page. tick the boxes for your second "news module" and your table of contents/articles module.
12. Save this, and create a link to your new page. Voila! a vBa GARS page, as requested!
Old 04-26-2006, 03:29 PM

Yes, as I've stated (repeatedly), I understand that. The point is, I don't want a GARS module that is a copy of the news module, or a copy of the Recent Threads module: re-re-read my original posts in this thread.

Morever, any such module could not be re-distributed, so cannot be the basis of a distributable GARS module. Seems very clear to me, I don't understand the continued mis-communication.

So let me re-state the question: is a real GARS CMPS module planned? Part of the 2.0 release, perhaps?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, as I've stated (repeatedly), I understand that. The point is, I don't want a GARS module that is a copy of the news module, or a copy of the Recent Threads module: re-re-read my original posts in this thread.

Morever, any such module could not be re-distributed, so cannot be the basis of a distributable GARS module. Seems very clear to me, I don't understand the continued mis-communication.

So let me re-state the question: is a real GARS CMPS module planned? Part of the 2.0 release, perhaps?
what exactly do you want? i thought i had shown you how to do both of the things you asked for, specifically a page with 2 modules. also, when something is so easily created, why would it be released as a module or modules? pretty much anything is possible using creatation of pages/modules, and this page youre requesting would have to be a lot more complicated than simply showing recent articles and a table of contents for anyone to justify going to the bother of completely re-writing the News Module so that it can be re-distributed for people too lazy to write a few lines of html
Old 04-26-2006, 04:05 PM

Ok, yet another go at saying the same thing one more time:

I'd like to know if an official, robust, configurable GARS module for CMPS is planned, and if so, when it is scheduled to be released, and at what price.

That's the question in its entirety. Now, some background:

Any such module would be, by definition, distributable. That being the case, any such module could not be based upon a copy of the News or Recent Threads modules, since they are copyrighted and cannot be re-distributed.

Still with me? Then let's continue:

Also, any such "News-based" module doesn't really provide the full scope of features a truly GARS-integrated module would provide.

THEREFORE:

Descriptions of "How-to" use a copy of the news module, or descriptions of how you "got it to work" on your forum, are off-topic. The fact that you've done so is commendable, but doesn't 1) answer my question or 2) prove somehow that I'm "lazy".

If you still are confused about what I want, that's ok. I'll trust that someone else who does understand will eventually come along.

Last edited by tgreer; 04-26-2006 at 04:08 PM..
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 PM

The nearest to an answer to date can be found HERE