The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 07-14-2006, 04:54 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I'm not even able to edit them individually, the image doesn't save - I thought it was a confirmed bug - I'll have a look at the tracker.

Your cold one; nJoy.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Im pretty sure that has been sorted. Saying that though, its still pre release

Let me know.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Alphabetical Bar for filtering forum entires by first letter (loads of requests for that)
any chance to add support for other alphabets, too? I, for one, only have Russian speaking users and they would hardly ever post entries in latin charset.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:50 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmmm. I was wondering the easiest way of doing this but Im not sure how to go about it YET.
In GAL 5.0, I let the admin define - but I dont think this would work as easily.

Let me ponder Greps
Old 07-15-2006, 12:27 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek

Personally, I don't see why vB doesn't integrate some of the core concepts into its base.

If you were to strip down the essentials of GARS, it:
  • Adds the ability to override templates on a forum by forum basis
  • Adds the ability to override phrases on a forum by forum basis
  • Adds the ability to create custom fields (like user profile fields) and control them on a forum by forum basis
  • Adds the ability to include modules in the layout.
I can see why modules aren't that big of a deal to the vB core, however the first 3 key's could easily be implemented in the core product and open the door to a huge paradigm shift with how users set up their forums.
I agree. The ability to customize the templates (within one Style) and add custom fields that displays in the postbits is definitely a wanted feature by many, including myself. In order to achieve these, before GARS, I had to hack into vB's core PHP files and often dragged out additional PHP files. It worked but it was a pain and it wasn't pretty.

You've actually tapped into what I've been doing with your product; the ability to fully customize every forum, within one Style. That alone seems to be somewhat of an Easter Egg which I've found to be a blessing. Thanks The Geek, again, and I'm just to let you know I'm having fun hacking up your work.

Last edited by Freesteyelz; 07-15-2006 at 12:31 AM..
Old 07-15-2006, 07:57 AM

My pleaseure I dont think many have really pushed the bounds of GARS yet. Make sure you show us what youve done afterwards
Old 07-15-2006, 09:21 AM

I have just uploaded a new product xml into the RC2 package. This addresses the db error that can occur with viewing, adding or editing a custom field.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:07 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

ok updateing for now working good

Last edited by Damir; 07-15-2006 at 10:34 AM..
Old 07-16-2006, 06:20 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Boy I could do a lot with GARS

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Sam
Old 07-16-2006, 02:00 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Just put a nice little token into the bug tracker ..
Is it just me or is it not possible to post under a different name when a special character is in the user name such as "<" ... error screenshot is in bug tracker .. but apart of that : good work