The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Calendars on forum pages.

One of the reasons I got GARS was to see if it would help out with one of my pet projects, which is associating a calendar with a forum.

For instance, we have a Local Events forum, and a Local Events calendar. I simply want to show the calendar at the top of the forum, in a configurable default view - probably the standard monthly view. If the user clicks a given event for details, it can take them off to the actual calendar pages, I don't need it to keep the forum/calendar association beyond the basic monthly view at the top of the page.

I remain convinced that this is possible, but I've spent quite a while going cross eyed looking at the vB calendar.php code, and my hopes for a simple API call to display the monthly calendar view seem to be swirling down the plug hole of overly optimistic expectations.

FYI, I'm aware of the various existing vborg hacks for calendar / forum integration. Although they provide some of what I want to do by way of tying forums posts to calendar events, none of them provide the basic "put a calendar at the top of the forum page" feature I would like.

As usual, any help, suggestions or good light bulb jokes gratefully accepted.

-- hugh
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

So you just need a module like the vba one?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:04 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I'm on the lookout for one of these also, as I'd like to remove it from the homepage, but have it displayed on certain forums.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
So you just need a module like the vba one?
Sorry about the delay responding, I've had the proverbial week or so from hell.

Right now, I'd pretty much take any module that displays a calendar which can be linked to a specific vB calendar on a per-forum basis. So the Reformed Church of Satan can have their own forum with their own social events calendar at the top of the page ("Tue 4th - meet and greet, bring pot luck dish and sacrifical goat"), while the Orbital Mind Control Laser Usergroup can have their own forum with their own calendar ("Wed 5th, LAN party, bring tin foil for making hats"). And ne'er the twain shall meet. Hopefully.

I'd rather have it use the expanded default vB monthly view (like this, but without the last/next calendars underneath), but something like the CMPS minical would work for now.

TIA for any assistance,

-- hugh