The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-11-2006, 05:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GAB RC1 Release Discussion

It's time for all GAB users to rejoice...

GAB has hit Release Candidate 1. This means that the feature set is frozen and I am now focusing on any last minute bugs, documentation and phrasing.

This release is a massive update to the last release and it is vital that you follow directions made in this post to upgrade.

Since last version:

1- I have totally re-written about 95% of all code from scratch.
2- I have dramatically simplified the management of ads
3- Improved hopefully every aspect of the program.
4- Made ability to random between adverts in a block (i.e. randomly show a static image, a rotating image and adsense)

In my opinion, earlier versions contained too many nooks and crannies where options for controlling an ad could easily get hidden away. This cause a lot of time to be spent trying to find out WHY a particular banner wasn't showing. To solve this, I have moved all banner controls back to the individual banner level. In other words, to make an ad active, edit the ad instead of the ad and the category. In fact, I have moved virtually all options out of the categories and into the individual ad.
This makes the categories more or less of a way to organize your ads instead of control them. I now envision using the categories for categorizing ads based on their positioning on a page.

One other area I found clunky and counter intuitive in previous versions was the way that ad blocks were attached to scripts.
Therefore I have separated Block management (think of a block as a billboard, in fact I think ill change the terminology before gold) from the script management.
In other words, you will go in and create 1 or more blocks, then go into your scripts and assign those blocks to your scripts. The way this is done is far far better as well.

All in all, it is a much better system that is pretty close to being done. A little more tweaking and phrasing is all that it will need for gold.

For anew install:
Upload all files in the gab upload/forums folder to your forum.
Import the product-geek- gab .xml file into your product manager.
Refresh your admincp.

For an upgrade:
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT YOUR SETTING WILL VANISH. This is a massive upgrade and I could not port over all settings. Once you install, double check all is cool.
Upload all files in the gab upload/forums folder to your forum.
Import the product-geek- gab .xml file into your product manager.
GO through your active banners and MAKE SURE that your url for the banner is correct. I have changed this to an absolute URL so you may need to update your banners.

FOR ADSENSE USERS:
Adsense and HTML adverts are now stored as a banner entry instead of a template edit.
Take your adsense HTML, create a new banner and put the HTML in the HTML setting of the banner (no need to upload an image).

I think that about covers it.

nJoy
Old 02-12-2006, 12:31 AM

Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Been looking forward to his update, can I just verify that all stats and current advertisements wont be affected by upgrading (apart from the URL maybe)?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:42 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

They will be fine. In fact, as it stands now... your stats arent being reported correctly with anything earlier than RC1
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I even completely uninstalled the product and reimported and my ads were still there [that's a good thing I'm not complaining]. A fantastic release Sam, has made things much much easier as far as administration is concerned. It all makes so much sense now. For GAB I think it's to infinity and beyond, for any vB owner wanting to easily and accurately add ads to their' site there is no other alternative.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:18 PM

Thanks Flea, Im glad you like it. Im pretty chuffed with the new version.

On a side note, I have uploaded version rc1d. The only file change since rc1c was gab_class_core.php so justreplace that file. It should take care of the bug mentioned this morning.

Ill give it a couple more days and if nothing major pops up, Ill finalize the phrases and release a gold product
Old 02-12-2006, 03:55 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Just a friendly little spam to let you know that Geek Advertising Banner System has hit RC1.
LOOOOOOL!! Now that was funny!!
Is GAB like a phpadsnews alternative or serves a different purpose?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

What I am looking for in a banner system is a way to have my banners all set up and have a expiration date for each banner so that the banner will stop displaying when it reaches that date. Does this do that or is there a way this can be done?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:39 PM

GAB allows for start dates, expiry dates, max impressions and max click thrus. So yes (and more )

GAB is like a vB specific phpadsnews thing however I really am only guess as I have never used it Many GAB users were phpadsnew thingees before GAB

HTHs
Old 02-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it. I'm an idiot.

Last edited by Brad; 02-12-2006 at 07:06 PM..
Old 02-12-2006, 07:41 PM

Is there a thread we can go to for troubleshooting this because I just installed it in my test site and I can not get it working. I thought I followed the direction correctly. I ran the debug tool and this is the error it gave me:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /admincp/GAB_admin.php on line 1788