The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Adding Post Reference to TOC Links for Anchoring to Text Start

I am using GARS to function as a literature repository. I love it! While formatting an especially large article with an extensive TOC, I investigated being able to default the view to the beginning of the article text when jumping via the TOC. I discovered that if I affix the post reference to the end of the url, it will do just what I want.

For instance, the normal URL gererated is:
http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=1131&garpg=9
This results in the first image view attached.

If I manually change this URL in the address box of the browser to:
http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.ph...rpg=9#post6615
It results in the second image view attached (just what I want).

This allows for maximixing the view area without instantly scrolling down to read the content every time. You can jump through the TOC with ease, even with long articles. Note that at the time of creating this post the article is being edited within a secure admin directory, therefore it can not be accessed by others.

My question is:
How can I edit the template to default the TOC links into including the post reference within the URL?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cathr1.jpg (47.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg cathr2.jpg (85.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-19-2007, 08:57 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hey, cool idea. Edit the geek/mods/display/toc.php module to enter the $post['postid']
Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I see the showthre.php URL strings below, but I am not sure about the format and exact placement for adding $post['postid']. Can someone help?
PHP Code:
            if ($this->navigation['pagecount'] > 1)
            {

$bits "<tr><td ><ul>";

$bits.="<li><div class='smallfont'><a href='showthread.php?t=$threadinfo[threadid]'>";

$bits.=($settings['name'] ? $settings['name'] : ($settings['allow_title'] && $this->data['custom1']['toc_title'] ? $this->data['custom1']['toc_title'] :$vbphrase["GARS_page1"]));

$bits.="</a></div></li>";

for(
$toc_x 1$toc_x $this->navigation['pagecount']; $toc_x++)
                {

$bits.="<li><div class='smallfont'><a href='showthread.php?t=$threadinfo[threadid]&amp;garpg=" . ($toc_x 1). "'>";

$bits.=$this->navigation['pages'][$toc_x]['text'] ? $this->navigation['pages'][$toc_x]['text'] : construct_phrase($vbphrase['GARS_pagex'],($toc_x 1));

$bits.="</a></div></li>";

}

$bits .= "</ul></td></tr>";

$title $vbphrase["GARS_contents"];
                eval(
'$output.="' fetch_template('GARS_mod_container') . '";');
            } 
Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

ok, there is a better way. Edit the gars_pb template and put the following where you want the page to jump to:

<a name="contentstart"></a>

Then append #contentstart to the end of the URL bits. That will be easier.

HTHs
Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 AM

Works like a charm! I also amended GARS_navigation to do the same. I'll post the revisions I made later in case someone else is interested. If you have long documents and are using the TOC, it is an awesome tweak.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Its a great overall suggestion. I may roll it into the standard feature set.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 AM

OK, this is my finished result:
http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=1136

This is a soon to be published book (permission granted), resulting in an extremely long article which has been broken down into chapters and sub-chapters. If you click on TOC items, it will consistently show the beginning of the content at the top of the browser screen. Switching between sections allows for a clean display with maximum content viewable. Check out the footnotes for another effect that I have integrated, being cross-indexed hyperlinks that allow you to toggle between the reference and the footnotes. Note that the document is for "those for whom philosophical and literary works of pessimism, nihilism, and defeatism are essential to their being." You have been forewarned!

And here are the revisions made:

OPEN gars_pb template
FIND:
PHP Code:
                    <td class="alt1" valign="top" width="100%" style="padding:10px;" 
INSERT LINE BEFORE:
Code:
<a name="contentstart">
You can move this higher in the code if you wish the title block to be displayed consistently.

OPEN geek/mods/gars/display/toc.php (or your custom path):
FIND:
PHP Code:
class='smallfont'><a href='showthread.php?t=$threadinfo[threadid]'>"; 
REPLACE WITH:
PHP Code:
class='smallfont'><a href='showthread.php?t=$threadinfo[threadid]#contentstart'>"; 
FIND:
PHP Code:
class='smallfont'><a href='showthread.php?t=$threadinfo[threadid]&amp;garpg=" . ($toc_x + 1). "'>"; 
REPLACE WITH:
PHP Code:
class='smallfont'><a href='showthread.php?t=$threadinfo[threadid]&amp;garpg=" . ($toc_x + 1). "#contentstart'>"; 

Last edited by Dr. Bantham; 06-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Filename Typo
Old 05-23-2007, 06:36 AM

As an FYI, I integrated this functionality into 2.1.8 however the page anchor is a tad bit higher (it shows the header).

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 AM

Nice work!

Susan and James