The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 PM

Default Select Box Question

Is there any way that users can add a new choice to a select box field while writing their review/thread?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Nope, options in a select box can only be set via the ACP, though untested, you might try adding a text field and using a template conditional, something similar to what is posted in this thread.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 PM

thanks,

I am pretty new to GARS (and to boards and forums as a whole, at least from the admin point of view). What I wanted to have is the ability to filter and or sort all entries in the GARS Forums for a number of different fields. As far as I can see the only type of field that allows that would be of the select box type.

The problem is that I can not predict all entries that are going to happen in these fields and therefore would need either another way to enter information to the options list from outside of the ACP (which does not seem to exist) or to be able to sort and filter by other field types.

In general is there a good source to start reading into the topic vB and GARS as a whole?

Thx for all help
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Outside of trying the suggestion in post two, GARS does not have that ability. For reading, check the following links:
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 PM

First: thank you for the links.

Second: The way I understood the example in post two it still forces me to have a predefined set of options for the conditional to select from. Would that option allow me to extend the contents of the list of a selection box field? (in other words - is there a dirty direct way to put it in the database?)
Old 05-31-2008, 04:40 AM
Administrator

GARS only has the ability for a predefined set of options. The only way to change that is to look through the code and see what needs to be changed, edited, updated, etcetera, but as I haven't done it, I cannot say how much effort and skill would be required.