The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Default GARS Lite synopsis issue

Hi, hopefully this is the correct place to post this. My posts on www.vbulletin.org go unanswered.

First, your copyright phrase is a bit off. The copyright entity is missing the terminal semi-colon.

My main issue: my synopses are being truncated (at 249 bytes/characters), even though I've adjusted the "Maximum character count for displaying synopsis in forumdisplay." setting in admincp.

Since the synopsis isn't displayed anywhere else, the truncated text is essentially lost.

How can I force GARS Lite to display the entire synopsis?

Example: http://www.tgreer.com/printforum/forumdisplay.php?f=51
Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hi,

The LITE version isnt supported hence the lack of replies

However the semicolon is a quick fix by editing your phrase, and the other issue was resolved in an update to the PRO version, however the LITE version is difficult to keep in sync with the changes to the PRO verision (the key reason I HATE maintaining a LITE version).

As soon as I can get some time, Ill see if I can apply the updates to the LITE.

Just hang fire for me
Old 03-31-2006, 05:27 PM

That's fine. I already fixed the phrase, I was simply bringing it to YOUR attention.

I'm not asking for support, really, just reporting a bug. I'm more than willing to modify a query or edit a PHP file to fix the synopsis issue... if yourself or anyone would point me in the right direction.

T.

One thing that might be nice to add to GARS is the ability to associate a particular article/post/thread with another forum category. I coded that for my forum, it allows me to author Op-Ed pieces that are associated with another section of the forum.

For example: http://www.tgreer.com/printforum/

Click the blue navigation buttons at the top to cycle through the various Forum Categories. You'll see both the sub-fora, and underneath, the "articles" associated with the category.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Do you mean that you have threads associated with multiple forums/sections?

BTW: Like your site and implimentation. Its clean and quick

Ill try to look at LITE when I get a little catch up.

Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:10 PM

I have a Forum setup as a Category: Staff Writers. Only members of the Staff Writers usergroup can post to it. It's also invisible in ForumDisplay.

Each Staff Writer has a sub-forum underneath, the name of the forum is their full name. They are the only user authorized to start new threads.

When they start a new thread, there are extra controls that allow them to "assign" the new thread to any of the other main forum categories (Parent Forums). They can even assign it to multiple categories.

Then, when a user navigates to a forum category, their article appears under the sub-forums.

I simply created an extra table that associates the thread with the forumid of the category. A hooked query gets any threads associated with that forumid.

Imagine a hardware Category (Parent Forum). Underneath are sub-forums, for example Wintel Machines, and Macintosh Hardware. You have a staff writer who reviews the new MacBooks, and "associates" his review to the Hardware parent forum. Thus, the review appears underneath the sub-forums. This way you can have a dedicated Articles or Review Forum (or Forums), but the articles are spread throughout the site. I think if you added that feature, I'd stop using my own and just buy GARS Pro.

Thanks for the compliment. I wanted my site sleek and quick, with a minimum of graphics: just get down to business - no smilies, avatars, etc.

Last edited by tgreer; 03-31-2006 at 06:17 PM..
Old 03-31-2006, 06:40 PM

It appears that your "snip_and_parse" function is hard-coded to 250 characters.

I think if I replace the 250 with "$this.settings['maxsynopsischars']", that should resolve my issue. Worth a try, I'll let you know.

Yep, that fixed it!

Last edited by tgreer; 03-31-2006 at 07:16 PM..
Old 04-01-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the fix tgreer. Do you mind posting it on .org? Ill try to update the package this weekend.