The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GAB RC3 Release Discussion

GAB RC3 has been uploaded to the download area for licensed users.

This Release gets us within spitting distance of the final gold release and actually offers a few new features however the most important aspect is in bug clean up.

Key bug squash
  • Should have fixed the odd situation that was causing the site be unresponsive. This issue primarily occurred in a new install and was easily sorted by clicking save on the MASTER script. However the situation could occur elsewhere too. It was a bugger to track down as no clues were left behind as to why it was happening. I think I finally have it licked by putting sanity checks in 2 places. Since then, I cant reproduce the problem
  • Fixed CRON bugs that was causing the cron job to not properly run.
New stuff
There is a new option to 'moderate' the banner . This really serves little purpose right this second, however its there for GUSS support (used to be called GUSH). It works kind of cool in the way that when you send a banner to moderation, it suspends the expiry date (if you have one). When it re-activates, it adds the time it was suspended to the expiry date. That way users cant throw a strop because you took 4 weeks to moderate their ad (well, I guess they could if you were that freaking lazy). I wont get too much into the GUSS features and progress here. All will be revealed soon enough.
For the time being, you may as well ignore it

Still to do

There is still a fair bit to do to complete GAB , however these are mostly things I insist are done before a project goes gold.
  • Manual
  • Phrasing (most is done. All that remains is in admincp)
  • Code clean up
And finally, I am still looking into adding the ability to insert default banners in lieu of recycling the ad farm (this happens when you request more banners then the system pulls) however I have only had 1 request for it so depending on how things go, that may wait for a service release.
I have also had 1 request for ip address filtering so that you can set certain ads for certain IP ranges (in other words; by country). I too am interested in this, however it too may wait for a general service release.
My goal is to get a clean, stable system that satisfies everyone.

To upgrade:
Upload all files from new package to your forums
Re-import the product- gab .xml choosing to overwrite existing installation.

Ok. That said, I'm off to do some support runs and play with GUSS.

As ever, if you run into problems, slap up a support ticket or post a new thread in the troubleshooting forum.

Take care.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:49 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Good stuff.

One thing about the banner rotation is I think it's totally weird to rotate banners using javascript. Why not use a normal rotation system, where each refresh/page view shows a different banner , picked at random. It's silly to rotate through all the banners on one page - and it would also be better to have a non-javascript system. Impression tracking would be more accurate too. Also any news on the text under banners? (that wouldn't work unless you had a non-javascript script too)
Old 03-02-2006, 03:09 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I tested the method for text under banners that I recommended and it worked a treat.

Edit your GAB_item_image template and put $ad[html] at the end. Then use the HTML field in your banner to put whatever text you want.

You don't have to use the java script rotator however many people only use rotators. Here, I use static images (and on my other site).
The only thing manky about the JS banners is an inflated impression count (as you mentioned). Ideally, I would like to get the time to do the rotator as an Ajax thing. It would be far more accurate.

HTHs
Old 03-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Howdy Geek
I just downloaded and installed RC3 and I'm happy to report I have not found any bugs.

I agree using Ajax would be a vast improvement to the js rotator.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2006, 03:03 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

hello Geek

why I cannot download? (already payed)
Old 04-10-2006, 06:07 PM

Try again, it looks fine from here. Make sure its GAB youre trying to download
Old 05-31-2006, 06:04 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I was wonder how were looking on the next release with all the bugs fixed. I have a bug that I pointed out on 01 March and you said on 03 March "Its a bug that will soon be squished". But that was that was three months ago and it has not been squished yet.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Im juggling as best as I can.

I have a new version in the pipeline and its very close to being done. Its just a matter of juggling things at the right momentum so I don't drop anything
Old 06-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Im juggling as best as I can.

I have a new version in the pipeline and its very close to being done. Its just a matter of juggling things at the right momentum so I don't drop anything
I understand. I was just trying to get a status report so to speak. I am hoping the fix for expiration dates fix to be incorporated in the next update. The one I referred to here http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=1197.

But like I said it was mainly to get a status report.