The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > GeekMart

GeekMart GMart is an integrated shopping cart system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default large download files & on another server?

is this possible? Our site currently OFFERS NOT ONLY TONS but large download files - sometimes upward of up to 100meg for download. Is this possible with this system? Is there a way for it to permit "linking" the download instead of "uploading it" via this system - thus in turn allowing just that file to be located on another server (the download area is a heavy and high load area that we have it hosted on it's own sever...) TIA!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

GeekMart doesnt handle the downloading aspects, it CAN handle the usergroup aspects though.
For instance, on this site I have a usergroup for each license. GeekMart handles that purchasing of those additional usergroups (as well as the expiry of them).
THen I use Geeker (FOC download program here for anyone that has bought at least 1 of my licenses) to handle downloading by usergroup.
Geeker may have a problem with that big of a download. It doesnt do offsite downloads primarily as those URLs are easily discoverable

So in a nutshell - im not sure
Old 12-21-2005, 06:49 PM

Hmmmm trying to think of a way around this - wishh it could just encode the link that we type in at least etc. and hook up to that download on the other server - or at least if we encrypted it first and then put the link in; just being able to have the option to put a link in opposed to "uploading it" we have TONS of downloads; suppose I should have asked before purchasing - *live and learn* LOL ! It was promising though!!!! Perhaps we can find another use for it
Old 12-21-2005, 06:58 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Let me bash around some ideas inside my head and see what I can come up with.

GeekMart has a module system (kind of like GARS).

Here are a couple potential ideas:

A module which could call a script on the destination server. The script would copy and rename the file a unique name, then GM could PM the user the url for the file. A cron job could delete the file after x amount of hours.
A module which could notify the user of the download location which a cron job could change the name of the file every 24 hours or so (or you could do it by hand).
A module that just gave the URL of the file and you could manually change it every so often.

Anyhooo - these are just a couple ideas that wouldnt require much work.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM

both sound promising... aside from my "physically" changing anything...we have literally THOUSANDS of downloads right now... and all are free and will be based on usergroups: ie: some are availble to all registered users - others to paid subscribers only which I will be enetering into the usergroup after I confirm their username and/or payment via out x-cart system