The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS Beta 4 coming

Well, I was hoping to have a new version out tonight however some things took much longer than anticipated.
I was actually thinking I was going to be really cool and actually have an RC tonight

Well, to err on the side of caution, I will make the next iteration a Beta (Beta 4 to be exact), however the feature set will be frozen (unless there is something dire that needs to go in).

Next version features:
GAL integration 99% done
'Post as' done.
Gallery editor/uploader
New System for types.

The biggest change is in the new system for types (and templates and keywords and modules!). The new system GREATLY simplifies the prototypes version by eliminating almost all redundancies. Essentially, you will define a number of Template sets, Keyword sets, and Module sets. Then when it comes time to create or edit a type, you simply select which sets it uses.

Very simple and very useful. The new module manager is a snap too. You can easily move modules about from section to section, delete them and re-order them too. The new system also dramatically simplifies the module making process for you coders out there.

This of course means your current configurations are going to go bye bye. However the good news is that the next version will come pre-configured with module, keyword and template sets (and also the 3 standard types). Therefore it should be a snap to upgrade.

nJoy
Old 10-24-2005, 10:48 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Can we still use custom made templates for Gars_forumdisplay or showthread etc ?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:02 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmm grt..
just confirming.(though i think your answer will b yes) will it fix all the present known bugs.. eg the comments edit one etc?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Yes to both posts

The changes needed for the modules is very simple and straight forward. Will most likely take you all of 120 seconds to update them.
Its mainly to get rid of the ridiculously deep arrays you have to deal with.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:05 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Will you support upgrading from Beta 3?

Thanks,
Mat
Old 10-25-2005, 11:02 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Most important to me is that:

- the final system is stable
- it can be installed and uninstalled easily and no file modifications are needed

AND

- Its has a very good documentation.

Most authors are writing script and forget this part.
YOU know what all the settings mean but hey, you're the author.
Tell your users, give examples and tutorials.
Then most of the forum questions will be obsolete...

Old 10-25-2005, 11:41 AM

Nutz - Of course

Jluerken - I'm not sure how many of my scripts you have used in the past - however I think most here will vouch that when gold, my software is stable, well documented, well supported and generally exceeds expectations.

Next version is still a Beta so there will not be documentation and there are still bound to be bugs. This is the nature of pre-release software.
Saying that... The next iteration is more stable, feature rich and easier to use than just about any other extension I know of for vB. Heck, Im pleasently surprising myself here!

O, and it doesn't touch vB's code and uninstalls clean (like all my gold stuff )

Hope this helps!