The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Adding Destination URL causes duplicate windows to open

We've recently started moving away from Adsense to other advertisers, and what we're finding is if we provide a destination URL GAB opens *two* windows instead of one? If we set the advertising snippet to *not* open in a new window, then the ad opens in the original browser but still opens a new tab/browser which is blank.

I tried to find anything like this issue in the GAB forum here, but my Searchfu seems to be weak today .

We're currently running GAB 2.0.2 on vB 3.6.8 pl2. We'll be moving to vB 3.7 p1, but we've got a ton of other things that are being done at the same time as that change, and all the testbed trials and tweaking isn't done yet.

Any insight the oracle can provide would be greatly appreciated!

James and Susan
Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hmm, haven't heard of that before. Is it an HTML banner ? Could it be the HTML advertising snippet that is opening the new window? What links appears in the browser address bar for the wanted and unwanted windows?
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-22-2008, 07:32 PM

It's not the redirect in the html that 's causing the problem, it's happening whether the html there is set to open a new window or not. Or it was... Susan was working with it a bit ago and it stopped before I could get a copy of the url to post. If it shows up again I'll followup on it here.

James and Susan
Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Here's what the url for the extra blank page looks like:
http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/gab_r...ad&forumid=243
Old 06-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

That link is for tracking clicks. Without seeing the HTML advertising snippet, the only thing I can surmise is that the HTML advertising snippet opens its own new window, and because you are tracking clicks, GAB also opens a new window. The window from GAB would be blank if there is no Destination URL set for the ad and you are tracking clicks.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams