The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Thousands of Links

I want to add literally thousands of auto links to my forum and I've just got Auto-Linker, but it looks like it's a long process adding one keyword/link at a time.

I've also got vbseo and it just needs me to paste lines of text in a single box like:

Quote:
'ebay' => 'http://www.ebay.com'
'msn' => 'http://www.msn.com'
This means I can add hundreds of lines of similar code by simply pasting it into the text box.

Using my sitemap to extract links, then a quick shuffle around in excel to add the 'keyword' => etc means I can do hundreds of links in next to no time.

Can I do a similar thing with GAL ? It has so many more features for auto-links than vbseo (which only really has auto-linking as a side feature), but if it's one at a time in GAL then it'll take forever to set up and that's a non-starter for me so I hope I've missed something.

Thanks

Stu
Old 06-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Auto-links can be set using the glossary.php page or the ACP, but nope, there is no mass add option.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info.

Could you add some more details on how to add lots of links via global.php

Are there any plans for creating a mass add option? With vbseo I can add literally hundreds of links in less than ten minutes using sitemaps and excel/notepad to do some quick find/replace content

Stu
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Take a look at the else if ($action == 'savegal') block of code in the gal_admin.php file to see what needs to occur to save one entry. You'd need to write a script that takes in multiple entries and performs a similar routine as in the gal_admin.php file for each entry. While vBSEO allows you to mass add entries, each entry in GAL can have different options than the next, so it is doubtful that GAL would get a mass add option.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

If you did have a mass add option for GAL , couldn't it just have the range of options set to specific user-set defaults, then make any changes later on wherever they're need on individual links? It would still save a massive amount of time compared to adding one link at a time. I'd really like to use GAL , but vbseo is just so easy that it's going to be hard to move over at the moment.

Stu
Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator

It could, just depends on which options you want to hard set and which options you want to be able to enter into a form.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 AM

OK, I think I'll stick with vbseo for now

Let me know if you ever come up with a mass add option as I've got a few sites I could use it on

until then, anyone want to buy a secondhand copy of GAL ?

Stu
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

GAL is sold, PM me...