The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.0 RC5 Release Discussion

I really didnt want to put out another RC, however I figured I may as well have it out for a final bug push rather than find something was missed with the final GOLD version. Therefore this RC represents the completed package with all known issues resolved and all known phrasing completed. The only reason its an RC is to make doubly sure that ALL bugs are squashed. I want the final gold release to be perfect!

The only thing left to my knowledge is creating the readme (which I have started).

It is important that you post ANY AND ALL bugs found in the bug tracker.

Whats new in this release?
  • I added an option to import phrases and templates of add ons only. This is for when you upgrade the GARS product xml and vB dumps all add on templates and phrases. Simply reimport the add on xml with this option ticked to re-add the templates and phrases (if any) without trying to reregister modules and such.
  • I fixed a probelm where add ons phrases were not added back in after upgrade
  • I fixed issue with deleting term sets on vb3.6
  • I added an extra type setting called extra templates to cache. This is for expansion purposes (I am releasing a new add on today that needs it). Essentially it allows you to enter a comma seperated list of extra modules to cache in addition to the GARS standard ones, the ones found in your template set and those found in the registered modules you use.
  • I fixed a probelm where editing a module set detials doesnt recache the setting
  • I added a chmod check to the settings section of your GARS admincp page. It just checks the validity of your chmod which is the most common problem people come across.
  • I have phrased everything. Well, I havent phrased custom field type text - thats because its only seen in the back end. Any other text - let me know.
  • I improved the RTL template CSS (Thanks UAE).
Thats about the gist of it.

Remember, DONT USE THIS THREAD TO TROUBLESHOOT. Use the troubleshooting forums or the bug tracker.

Were in the home stretch now!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks Geek,

I must say I admire your energy and the the way you "pamper" all of us.
WELL DONE!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

wow wow my term sets didnt seem to add when i resaved them so i deleted them and made new ones and works fine.....

sam is there a a piece of code that looks to see if an image like newarticle.gif is present if not displays the default add thread button? because thats what it seems to be doing for me ?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:43 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj
wow wow my term sets didnt seem to add when i resaved them so i deleted them and made new ones and works fine.....

sam is there a a piece of code that looks to see if an image like newarticle.gif is present if not displays the default add thread button? because thats what it seems to be doing for me ?
ok maybe not it doesnt seem to be displaying the image i specify in term sets for newX instead it displays the default new thread
Old 09-03-2006, 05:54 PM

If its a bug, slap it in the tracker however this would be a new one as it all seems to work fine here.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:10 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Good job dude

Downloading my copy now
Old 09-04-2006, 12:38 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Great Looking forward to the gold release
Old 09-04-2006, 01:28 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Installed fine and seems good. The only problem I am having is my default image for all my types is getting deleted from my directory somehow. I placed a bug in the tracker.

Also there is a weird thing that happens when you have an alpha bar and sort set to by ratings. When you click on the letter in the alpha bar it pulls all articles with that letter, yet it still sorts them by ratings. From user standpoint it seems as though it should be alphabetically. Is it possible to override that? I placed it in the tracker as well.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Well, after having problems with my ftp software (it didn't want to replace files... i thought it did so the display was ugly with problems) and after revert templates, i've discovered the real new GARS (with ajax ratings function for example). The script is now really great ! Congratulations and thank you !!!