The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS Beta 4 Release Discussion

Here he is. GARS beta 4. The last beta before we go RC.

Please read the following before installing!

GARS is still a beta and therefore should only be installed by experienced users. Saying that, it looking pretty sweet now.

I have moved the gars directory into the forums/geek folder. This is for much easier management and future code sharing. I would suggest to moving your gars/images folder to geek/gars/images Make sure that the folders are still writable after moving for uploading purposes.

ONCE INSTALLED, DO THE FOLLOWING:
Go into your admincp
Click on Terms. Edit any term. Click save.
Click on Templates. Edit any template. Click save.
This will cache the templates and terms and save you 2 queries.

You will need to re-configure GARS! Don't stress though, its pretty straight forward and most of it will already be configured for you.

This version is almost totally rewritten is large areas. This is now more like what the final product will be like when it goes gold. I have totally restructured the mod and type system to make it much easier to use.

Most known issues have been resolved, though there are some outstanding and a few new from the mammoth recoding. However I feel that this version is as stable if not more so than previous versions.

Ill be updating the module tutorial with the changes to the module system for those of you that have written custom mods. I will also be updating the known issues thread when I get a second.

Please feel free to discuss the issue in this thread. I'm interested to get your feedback.

nJoy
Old 10-25-2005, 09:15 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

New features:

Terms
Keywords are now stored as 'sets' thereby simplifying creation of types. Terms store the keywords like Article or Tutorials. They also store the button names.

Templates
Templates are now stored as sets. Most configurations use the same templates, so it makes sense to group them together so users don't have to re-enter every time they make a new type. There is also a new template 'GARS_showthread'.

Ratings
Think Ive sorted most issues out with any ratings. I want to do a bit more work on the rating modules though.
I also still have to impliment the function to only allow ratings to be made when users comment.

Modules
The module system is totally re-written (again). There are 2 sections to modules: Module Sets and Registered Modules.
All modules must first be registered in order to use them (this hasnt changed from previous versions).
Module sets are a group of pre-configured modules. Each set stores a configuration for showthreadimplementhasn't and forumdisplay and allows easy managment and sharing of modules between types.

Types
These are greatly simplified with the sets mentioned above. A couple features are still not plugged in, however its just about there.
There are a few more options to choose from too:
Limit of threads on forumdisplaymanagement, alphabetical sorting, Auto featuring for x days (this only defaults for new threads and it is the amount of days to feature something via the AJAX auto feature method)
There is also a gallery manager for each type that allows you to upload and delete gallery files quickly and easily.

Thats a quick run down of some of the changes.

nJoy

Last edited by The Geek; 10-25-2005 at 09:26 PM..
Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

thanks geek you did for sure again a great work. I will install it tonight
Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I've been looking forward to this! Thanks for all your hard work!

Rebecca
Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

1. If you add a module to the "bottom" on a set it does not appear on the set page so there is no way to edit/delete it.
2. Also appears that even if you add it to the module set, references do not appear on the edit page.
3. Can't delete the a module set, at least not the default one.
4. Appears to be a large gap above the thread titles on the forumdisplay.

Last edited by James Goddard; 10-25-2005 at 10:16 PM..
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 PM

Confirmed and fixed.

Download the latest package (Beta4b) and just replace your admincp/gal_admin.php file.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:25 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Confirmed and fixed.

Download the latest package (Beta4b) and just replace your admincp/gal_admin.php file.

Thanks!

Which one? I've been adding to the list .

Nevermind. I can confirm that Number 1 is fixed.

Last edited by James Goddard; 10-25-2005 at 10:29 PM..
Old 10-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Ya, didnt notice you were editing the thread

I have confirmed and fixed #2 and #3 as well. This will require you to download package beta 4c and replace your physical files (specifically only gars_admin.php, gars_class_core.php and references.php).

#4 is a known issue. You cant delete mod sets right now. Either edit them to suit or just ignore them for now.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Ya, didnt notice you were editing the thread

I have confirmed and fixed #2 and #3 as well. This will require you to download package beta 4c and replace your physical files (specifically only gars_admin.php, gars_class_core.php and references.php).

#4 is a known issue. You cant delete mod sets right now. Either edit them to suit or just ignore them for now.

Thanks for the help!
Great. Thanks for the quick response. Number 3 (I think you mixed up 3/4 in your reply) is not an issue for me. I was going to delete the default set and recreated it to get rid of a bottom module, but since you fixed number 1 it's no longer necissary.

I can confirm that 2 is fixed. I'm confused about your post. You said 3 was fixed and 4 was a known issue, however you described 3?

Number 4, the gap, is still there, but that's basicly cosmetic.

Last edited by James Goddard; 10-25-2005 at 10:52 PM..
Old 10-25-2005, 11:55 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Would it be a good idea to wait a few days until these and other bugs are found/fixed?

Thanks,
Mat
Closed Thread