The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Lizard Lounge

Lizard Lounge The place to post off topic stuff.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-04-2006, 08:32 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanif
Might give this a try soon
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...light=vRewrite

Anyone tried it yet???

Ta,

Hanif
No, cause honestly I don't trust a free hack that is not quickly supported to alter every url on my forum.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

We have used vBSEO for a few months now and are really happy with it. Pricewise it may seem steep but it's an excellent piece of software.

My only gripe with it is that if your license is somehow messed up (we had this happened when we moved to a new server), it replaces all your pages with a "This board is using an unlicensed copy of vBSEO"...which was pure bull. But to their defence they replied to my desperate support ticket within 5 minutes...in the middle of the NIGHT!

I'd also pay for a no-brand version, though.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:00 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Wow, talk about name and shame

I too would pay for unbranded. Not having a choice actually irks the hell out of me (and the reason why I only have it on 1 site). It actually brands every page irrespective of rewrites.

Also, I may be wrong, but I think there is currently a potentially serious performance issue. In fact, very soon after upgrading to 2.4, I needed to urgently upgrade my server. 100 people on line brought my 3.4ghz 1gig p4 to its knees which just plain shouldn't happen.

That said, all in all I rate their service as best as you can get and their product very much worth the investment.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

For several hours today we had 100+ people online on an AMD 3400+ 1Gig box and we didn't experience any performance issues.

But there's nothing but the forum on that box so there's not much else for the processor to do.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I think there is currently an issue with 2.4 and larger sites.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:32 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
No, cause honestly I don't trust a free hack that is not quickly supported to alter every url on my forum.
I helped code that.

I can understand lack of support. But, I don't understand how people think something is better because it is more expensive.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:49 PM

Have to agree on yahoo loving vbseo...I can't keep the damn thing away...had a 130 odd of the buggers on it the other day...

I would prefer if I could see the src code, but I can live with it being encrypted.

There are lots of windows based/java based/etc web apps that you can't get the source too, why should we be extra worried about php scripts?

Authors of software have the right to encrypt, users have the right to reject. (but IMHO it's silly to reject because of encryption)
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Hmmm... I was also going to purchase VbSeo, i went charging off to there site and saw the price... i thought, why pay that for some re-writeted urls, then for the forum its self...

Anyways i tryed some free ones (vRewrite) being one of them, frankly it puts a crappy copy right on ur footer that potentially can ruin the looks of ur forum - IT allso puts the titles in ur urls, with F- at the start for forum, and t- for thread.

Anyways, i found an awsome FREE mod re-write, - it seems to me, after very little research, that urls with numbers in get better SERPS than urls with mass keywords in, especially for google. Check my forums url ~ http://forums.gamelair.com/forum30.html <-- that to me is perfect, not too long, not over doing the keywords - And like i said, it tends to do better in google, and at the end of the day google is #1 forget the other engines!

So, i wouldn't splash out on VbSeo - if it was 50-100 id think of buying it, but why waste that much money when you can get a free alternative?

P.S geek sell me Gars pro!!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:05 AM

We rank excellently in Google with vBSEO though, so I think it's a matter of chance and luck who indexes your site in the first place.

I frankly think vBSEO is decently priced - it's there for a specialty market after all - and it's obviously selling well. Someone will always choose the cheaper or free alternatives, and that's good (it's called competition).
Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated

Anyways, i found an awsome FREE mod re-write, -why waste that much money

when you can get a free alternative?

P.S geek sell me Gars pro!!
Erm, don't suppose you'd care to share please?