The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Unhappy Phrase System messed up in GARS

Oh god, that is soooo annoying.

I translated GARS into German some weeks ago. I upgraded to vB 3.5.3 and my translation was gone. (When upgrading, you need to import the German language set again, which overwrites custom phrases - at least, if they are member of the vBulletin Product, instead of the product that they REALLY belong to). So, I re-translated them, and after that, I exported my work, in order to avoid the problem on the next vB update.

But now? I Updated to vB 3.5.4 some days ago, and now i realized, that the GARS phrases are English again. OK, no problem, I have the language XML file -- oh, wait, I don't. The file is EMPTY. If you export a language using the language export manager, and select "GARS" as the product, the system won't export any phrases, but just the "hull" of a phrase XML file. The reason: All GARS phrases are linked to the vBulletin product, instead of the GARS product!

At the moment, I don't have a clue how to export my GARS translation in a way that will make it possible to re-import it properly after a vB update.

Why are the phrases not linked to the correct product? This would make life MUCH easier, and it would be the correct way to adapt the vBulletin system architecture. But in the way it is done now, it is completely messed up.

Does anyone have a working German translation, which he can share with me?
The translation took 2 hours and I really don't want do do it a third time...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:03 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I exported the gars language file and imported it again after an update, don't know why it's not working for you. You can take my file, have translated the article and previews phrases, tutorials not.
[german] Aber vielleicht spart es dir doch ein bisschen Zeit [/german]
Attached Files
File Type: xml garsdeutsch-language.xml (23.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-08-2006, 08:04 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

So ... this is really strange!

In your file, all GARS phrases have the prefix "GARS_". In my database, ony the phrases from the GLOBAL group have this profix, all other phrases don't. This is also the reason, why it was so hard for me to find them in an XML file. (I tried to find them in a language dump of the previous vB version, but could not find them without the prefix).

Maybe, the pharses were named wrong in an early beta version of GARS. Since my first install was quite a long time ago, this might be the reason for my problems. I will try to re-install the phrases.

However, thank you for your language file, Ramses. It will help me a lot.

[german]Die Tutorials mach ich dann selbst, vielleicht willst du sie ja dann auch mal haben. [/german]