The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GAB Beta 3 development update

HowdA All,

Thought I would just drop a line to update you on my current progress. I want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I head into the long stretch of winding up the feature set.

I have totally overhauled virtually all code for GAB . In my opinion, there were too many spots where banners could be disabled (i.e. banner level, category level, script level) which lead to confusion and a counter-intuitive interface.
The next version simplifies things by combining most options at banner level.
Therefore you can enable/disable banners only at the banner options itself. Even tracking options, forum options, script options, etc... are all held at banner level instead of category and banner level.
Essentially this makes the category feature only useful for 'categorising' instead of controlling banners. The new categories will be something simpler like Header ads, Sky scraper ads and Footer ads. They will be a combination of all 3 ad types (image, flash and HTML).

Block editor

I have separated block management from the script management to make it more versatile and intuitive. Essentially a block is a container for your ad(s). A block can contain 1 or more ads. Multiple ads can be nestled side by side or you can now randomly select 1 ad to display (this is for you guys wanting to random between showing a rotating banner and google or whatever).

Script manager

I am simplifying the script manager so that it is easier to control which blocks go in which 'slot'. In the attachment below, I rubbed out stuff I haven't upgraded yet. Furthermore, instead of 'Master' script, Ill be using the 'default script' terminology, but the idea is the same... If your script is set to default, it will inherit your default script configuration. This will still enable you to create a special configuration on a page by page basis.

Banner features

I have added a few more features to the banner administrator. Now you can specify the URL of the banner

Anyway, when will it be done? Next Beta SHOULD be out this week sometime. It totally depends on how development pans out. I have managed to get most key changes completed and now its clean up time, then upgrade script time. If all goes well after next release, I may even make it an RC and bring it on home.

Any feedback, bugs, ideas, etc... that you can think of... please let me know. I'm eager to add this to my list of gold products.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 10:43 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Any news of an Update.

A feature that can be implemented.
Let members pay for banner space and they can advertise they pages and sites.

Say a member wants to add his banner on my space and he buys 1000 impressions select what forum it wants to banner to appear and pay using subscription processor in bulletin.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

i believe that is what gush will do... once its developed..

http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Old 02-08-2006, 06:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Yea, Lazy is right. GUSH will be a FOC (for current license holders) hack that will allow you to have users browse stats for their GAL and GABs as well as purchase GAL and GABs via GeekMart .
Old 02-09-2006, 01:58 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I like the improvements. You will hate me for this suggestion but I'll send you my first born if you could work this out. Even if it could be done as a side for me alone for paid services.

A way for me to assign a user group that can upload a banner . And delete their banner . Sorta like PHPadscrap cuase I am thinking the rotating banner and allowing someone else to upload their banner and delete it would greatly simplfy my life with the FLYER ROTATION i currently have and am adding to manually.

Others might also like that, cuase then advertisors could control their banners.

just a thought. looks good brother.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:13 PM

That is what GUSH will do

And though I appreciate your offer, I'm scared of what Mrs. Geek would say if I brought home a new child in lieu of some custom work